How To Get Along With Your Hairstylist
Most people believe it would be awesome if they could get their hairstylist to understand their hairstyling goals without any drama.
If you take the time to learn how to easily get along with your hairstylist not only will you have a great relationship, you’ll have a better shot at achieving your ultimate hair goals.
Respect Your Hairstylist
It’s important to make sure you get along with your hairstylist from the very beginning of the relationship.
Always show respect to your hairstylist by taking the following actions:
– Arrive early for all of your appointments. That allows you to find appropriate parking, change into a protective smock and be ready to go when your appointment starts.
– If you have to cancel or change your appointment, do so at least 24 hours in advance. The more notice you can provide, the better it is for your stylist who can rebook that time slot.
– Turn off your intelligent devices before you start your appointment so you can direct all your attention to your hairstylist.
– Be prepared for the appointment. Have photos of any hairstyles you’re interested in, have a list of questions and be honest about your past hair history.
– Never mislead your stylist. Hair disasters happen when you neglect to provide them with a list of chemical treatments applied to your hair in the past.
– Be realistic about your hair goals. Great hair professionals will do their best to honor your hair color, style and texture requirements when it’s possible. Not all hair is compatible with every hair hue or style.
Resolving Differences – How To Get Along With Your Hairstylist
Disagreements are a fact of life. While it’s possible you may never have a difference with your stylist, if you do, remember your timing and approach may make a huge difference in the outcome.
Sometimes your hairstylist may disagree with you simply because they’re irritated by your tone of voice or timing.
It’s not just what you say, but how and when we say it, that can make the critical difference.
Tips For Resolving Differences With Your Hairstylist
When you experience a disagreement with your hairstylist consider the following tips for resolving any differences:
1. Never weaken your position by turning it into a personal attack. When you make it personal, you’re potentially inviting a counterattack which could escalate into a full blown argument.
2. Always speak calmly regardless of how emotional you may feel about the topic. If you try to wear your stylist down by raising your voice or becoming aggressive, you’ll come across as a bully. Even if your stylist understands your position, they may still resist because of your manner.
3. Express your position as a question rather than a statement.
4. Listen carefully and then restate your hairstylist’s position. Show your concern by saying something like “I want to make sure I understand you correctly.” When the other person’s view is restated in your words, they may understand where the communication disconnect is.
5. Acknowledge the merits of your stylist’s position. It’s flattering to your stylist. It’s also a great technique to minimize any negative escalation.
6. Ask what your hairstylist’s objections are, if they haven’t been clearly stated to you or you feel you don’t understand. Some people are simply contrary by nature when confronted. Try and understand whether your hairstylist has legitimate objections or is just being difficult.
7. Give your hairstylist a clear incentive to work things out with you. Understand what’s in it for them to keep you as a long term loyal client. If it’s not to their advantage to keep your business, they may not try to work things out at all.
8. Don’t cave in prematurely during a disagreement unless you’re willing to quit your hairstylist forever. It’s always natural to want to avoid unpleasantness. Too often, it’s easier to bail out early in negotiations, fearing the end result. If you keep your discussion of your disagreement with your hairstylist on high ground, a prolonged debate can be productive and you both can agree to a win-win result.
9. Postpone a confrontation, when it seems best to wait. If you see your hairstylist is agitated, wait for a better time to talk to them. If you do approach and the conversation goes downhill quickly, ask if you can talk about the topic later at a better time.
10. Never allow yourself to get backed into a corner. When your discussion with your hairstylist is getting the better of you, call a time out to rethink your position and be able to present it more skillfully.
Summary – How To Get Along With Your Hairstylist
A long and happy relationship between you and your hairstylist can be very rewarding for the beauty of your hair. Every relationship is a two way street.
Even though your hairstylist ultimately works for you, it’s important to treat them with respect and consideration.
Sometimes disagreements may arise between you and your hairstylist. If you try the options listed above, but feel the disagreement can’t be amicably resolved, be prepared to throw in the towel and move on.
Sometimes when a relationship with your hairstylist hits a snag, it just can’t be salvaged no matter what you say or do. Don’t continue in a relationship with your hairstylist (or anyone else) if you are unhappy. Life is too short.