Bella Capelli Sanctuario Westlake, Ohio Stylist: Jack Dusek Sassy Messy Updo
All Rights Reserved
This Prom Sassy Messy Updo style is a spectacular Prom hairstyle choice for a number of reasons.
The hairstyle showcases long side-swept bangs which are perfectly highlighted with ribbons of contrasting lighter and darker hues providing rich depth and movement.
The sides of this messy Prom updo are swept back towards the middle of head creating a sassy profile.
The side sections of hair are swept up and loosely pinned into a cascade of soft messy loops which trickle seductively from the top of the crown down to the nape of the neck.
This stunning and elegant Party, Dressy or Prom updo style is a favorite of young Hollywood and never really goes out of style. It is a constant staple on the Red Carpet and on fashion catwalks.
Similar updos have been spotted on Nicole Richie, Hayden Panettiere, Jessica Alba and Lauren Conrad, to name just a few.
The updo style is sleek and elegant, but is also fresh, young and edgy. It is the perfect compromise of sexy, messy and polished.
This relatively simple hair style provide instant sassiness mixed with elegance and simplicity.
Steal This Style
34th Annual American Music Awards Press Room 11-21-06
All Rights Reserved
This actual messy Prom style was created with precision but designed to give the impression of a "just out of bed" messiness.
The sassy messy updo is perfect for adding a wide range of hair accessories ranging from skinny crystal encrusted headbands to a flirtier array of sparking beads, rhinestones or even a sassy crystal encrusted tiara or tiara comb.
Note: Visit The Nicole Richie Gallery.
Step By Step Instructions - Sassy Messy Style
Listed below are the detailed steps you should follow to recreate this spectacular Sassy Messy Updo Prom Style:
- Shampoo hair with product designed for your specific type, texture and current condition of hair. Keep in mind that hair that is allowed to "age" a few hours may be less slippery to work with than hair that is freshly washed.
- Finish shampoo treatment with a rinse-out conditioning product designed for your hair type, texture and condition.
- Complete the final rinse with cool/cold water rinse to close cuticles.
- Towel blot hair to remove excess water.
- Apply detangling or leave-in/detangler and working from the ends to the roots, carefully detangle strands. Create desired parting (front, side, high or low).
- When hair is completely detangled, apply a styling cocktail that includes a mixture of leave-in conditioner and/or styling cream or mousse. If your hair is naturally curly or wavy, you may wish to apply a straightening balm or defrisant.
The Brown Aveda Institute Mentor, Ohio Stylist: Danielle Synenberg Sassy Messy Updo
All Rights Reserved
Note: If your hair requires extra hold you may wish to apply a styling glaze and/or gel in addition to a leave-in product.
Use a blow dryer set on medium heat and a large flat paddle brush. Separate hair into 2-4 inch sections with one hand as you direct the heat "down the shaft" from the "roots to the ends" with the blow dryer.
- Continue to work completely around your head from side to side working with individual sections until the entire head has been completely dried and straightened.
- Apply dab of styling cream or pomade before creating the desired part that extends from the hairline to approximately 2 inches back towards the crown.
- After creating the desired part, create a horizontal part that extends across the back of the head behind each ear.
- Separate the newly horizontally parted hair into front and back sections.
- Use your fingers to gather back section of hair into a loose ponytail with the base situated right below the top of the crown.
- Anchor the ponytail with a Bungee, Blax or elastic band.
- Select one strand from the tail of the pony and wrap the strand around the base of the ponytail to cover the Bungee, Blax or similar elastic band. Use bobby pins to pin the base hair into place.
- Separate pony hair into individual strands of hair which are 2" in thickness. Use medium to large barrel curling iron to create curled loops. After the section of hair has been curled around the iron use fingers to roll into a soft barrel style curl. Pin with bobby pins to secure against the scalp.
- Continue to use hot iron on all sections. Roll and pin barrel curls into all sections until all strands have been used and the newly printed curls cascade from the top of the pony down to the nape of the neck. Note: If your hair is exceptionally long or thick, you may need to use thicker sections when creating and pinning the barrel curls.
After you have finished pinning the barrel curls use your fingers to "shape" and "mold" the finished updo. When satisfied with the shape, use bobby pins the same color of your hair to anchor it to the scalp. Use as many bobby pins as necessary. Note: Remember that this style is designed to be "sassy" and slightly messy Use your own judgment creating a final shape that works best with your hair type.
Hayden Panettiere "Tiger Cruise" Premiere 07-27-04
All Rights Reserved
- Sweep the remaining front hair into a long eye brushing side fringe. Use a flat iron to get a sleek finish and slightly curl the very ends up for a flirty flick.
- Place bobby pins discreetly around the side swept front hair to help anchor the sweep of hair into the back of the style.
- When hair has been completely pinned and is ready to be finished, spray the entire head with a firm hold hairspray.
- Finish with a light application of shine spray or drops carefully palmed over the top of the waves to prevent them from getting too much product which can make hair greasy or oily. Remember, a little goes a long way.
- Attach desired hair accessories such as a single flower, jeweled accent clips or barrettes. Or take the style up a notch and decorate with some sparkly hair gems.
This style looks stunning with either a strapless gown to show off your shoulders or a full or half halter top gown, as shown above.
The Sassy Messy Updo is very flexible. It can be worn tighter or looser and can be carefully pinned or pinned with a messier attitude. Just use your own imagination. This style is perfect for all special Prom and Party Hair events.
Social Media Network Information
Please follow me on Twitter at: http://Twitter.com/HairBoutique. I look forward to meeting new people from all walks of Twitter and learning from their Tweets. Visit us at Hairboutique.com located at: http://www.HairBoutique.com, on Facebook, MySpace and YouTube.
Thank you for visiting us at The HairBoutique Blog and for leaving your comments. They are very much appreciated. We apologize in advance but must remove any direct advertisements or solicitations.
Original Publication Date: 12/01/2007 - Revised Publication Date: 09/05/11