Martin Luther has been quoted as saying "The hair is the richest ornament of women." - Martin Luther
Over the past several years Hollywood and celebrity hairdressers have driven home the point that hair is our very best accessory.
Which is why a dizzying array of temporary clip-in hair extensions, bangs, ponytails, wigs and semi-permanent hair extensions have been all the rage.
Indeed, when your hair is misbehaving many people may actually fall into a bad hair mood which can literally put a damper on your entire day.
Is having a bad hair day justification for being in a bad mood? Yes indeed and studies have proven the point.
Dr. Marianne LaFrance, Professor of Psychology and of Women's and Gender Studies at Yale University analyzed information specifically tied to how individuals felt when they had a bad hair day.
The result? Accord to LaFrance's study, bad hair days can lead to bad moods and may increase overall self-doubt, social insecurities and self critical thoughts.
Bad hair days and moods related to them actually was shown to impact overall job performance.
How To Overcome A Bad Hair Mood
The good news about bad hair days is that you don't have to let it ruin your day. Studies have shown that challenging events can be overcome with positive thoughts and actions.
Listed below are some ways to overcome a bad hair mood caused by challenging tresses:
1. Accessorize with a bright color. Studies have shown many people react in a positive way to bright colors such as sunny lemon, vibrant orange and an array of bright pink and purple.
Pop a headband, hair clip or hair flower onto your tresses in the colors which you know instantly perk you up.
Not only will you feel better about your hair but everyone who sees you will get a burst of bright color to perk them up.
2. Make lemon aide from lemons. Take advantage of challenging hair by applying a tiny bit of your favorite pre-shampoo oil or conditioners to your ends or other damaged areas.
Pin your tresses up or pull them back and bask in the knowledge your hair is benefiting from all-day conditioning treatments while you go about your business.
3. Whistle a happy tune. If you can't pucker then hum or sing one of your favorite upbeat songs. Remember that for every minute you're allowing yourself to feel down and out is time that you're not enjoying your life.
4. Do some retail hair therapy. There's nothing like a little window shopping to shake a downer mood.
Never fear, you don't have to spend a dime to enjoy the guilty pleasure of wandering through the aisles of a local beauty-supply store.
Inhale some of the latest fragrances and candle offerings, check out the hottest new eye make-up colors or eyeball the latest hot tools.
5. Try out a new styling technique. If your hair is already misbehaving then why not take the opportunity to experiment with different parts or styles.
If you normally wearing your hair loose and flowing, pin it up. If your standard hairstyle is worn up, wear your hair down or change up your signature twist, bun or topknot.
6. Savor and enjoy essential oils. Add a few drops of your favorite essential oil to an unscented lotion and mix well.
Or combine one ounce of distilled water with 12 drops of essential oil in an atomizer or spray bottles. Shake well and spray.
Experiment with lavender which is balancing and relaxing, wild chamomile which is soothing and nurturing or Texas Cedarwood which is anxiety-easing, harmonizing and anxiety-easing.
7. Add an instant pep in your step. Apply 6-12 drops of peppermint to your bath water and you'll feel refreshed and invigorated. All thoughts of your bad hair mood will vanish.
8. Laugh it off. Pop in your favorite comedy and enjoy a good laugh. Or watch a movie with some really bad hair scenes to realize your hair challenges pale by comparison.
Check out the movie Runaway Bride where Richard Gere is tricked at the hair salon and winds up with Day-Glo multi-colored hair.
9. Call a friend. A best friend will listen to your hair woes and offer some instant suggestions to make you feel better.
While studies have shown that challenged tresses can translate into bad hair moods you're ultimately the master of your own hair destiny.
When your hair is misbehaving redirect your attention to some of the suggestions above or to some of your own favorite things to transform a bad mood into a bright and sunny one.
- Revised Publication Date: 06/16/13