If you think I'm going to start by telling you baby powder is one of the best 4 top oily hair remedies, think again.
Misinformation About Baby Powder With Talc Base
Unfortunately the Internet is full of lots of dangerous misinformation about hair care and remedies.
One major piece of misinformation erroneously passed on is the recommendation to use baby powder to remove grease and oil from the hair.
If the baby powder is derived from talc, it's most likely toxic.
Baby powder based upon 100% pure corn starch is usually not toxic, unless other chemicals were added to the baby powder since as artificial fragrances or coloring.
Oily Hair Remedy #1 - Know Your Hair
Start your quest to find the best 4 top oily hair remedies by understanding your hair type and texture.
There are many reasons hair may be oily:
1. Oily hair, which occurs due to an oily scalp, may be hereditary in nature.2. Blondes generally are more prone to oily hair than brunettes and redheads.
3. Fine/thin hair with an oily scalp may get oilier fast than other hair types and textures.4. Overactive sebaceous glands which produces too much sebum on the scalp makes hair accumulate excessive oil.
5. Natural blondes tend to have oilier scalps and tresses than red heads who tend to have more dry strands.6. Hormonal shifts - temporary or long term - which impacts hair (puberty, pregnancy, menopause, PMS or similar)
7. Hot and humid local weather conditions which trigger sweating and oil build-up.
8. Using the wrong products and cleansing routines which may actually encourage rather than discourage oil build-up.9. Improper hydration, sleep and nutritional programs which encourage excessive oil products on the scalp.
10. Health and/or medical conditions which encourage oil products.11. Prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications and/or herbs which encourage oily conditions.
Understanding why your hair is oily and when it becomes the most challenging is key to fixing the problem. Do your research and understand all of your options.
Oily Hair Remedy #2 - Work In Harmony With Natural Oils
Some hair styles are much more compatible with naturally oily hair than other styles. The closer you wear your hair to your scalp the more oil it may adsorb.
Oily hair will show up first in the fringe and around the perimeter. Side or middle partings are much better for disguising oily hair issues.
Fringes, especially those that make contact with oily complexions, may increase oily strands. If you really want to wear a fringe, slow oil transfer by lightly teasing the hair near the roots.
When you back comb your roots, it gives your hair more volume and slows down the transfer of sebum (oil).
Oily Hair Remedy #3 - Have A Long Term Plan To Control Oily Hair
1. Incorporation of a wet cleansing routine and schedule designed to address oily scalp and hair.2. Utilization of layered wet and dry cleansing products which address different oil infused sections of the hair.
3. Understanding of conditioning products which may assist in the control of oily hair.4. Use of proper water temperatures during wet cleansing. Cool or cold water may help cut oils.
5. Use of properly placed heat to dry out oil.6. Adoption of custom anti-oil masks, remedies and conditioners to remove excess oil.
7. Temporary hair texture adjustment through the addition of chemical solutions (highlights, low lights, texturizers)8. Addition of hydration, food, vitamins and/or herbs designed to provide nutritional balance and minimize oil production.
9. Transition to a hairstyle designed to minimize oil movement from the scalp to the strands.10. Utilizing of acupuncture, Chinese medicine or other stress reduction techniques.
Oily Hair Remedy #4 - Plan For Sudden Oily Hair Outbursts
Even with a successful long term plan to control oily hair, there will be sudden oily hair outbursts.
Always have a plan in place to manage sudden oily hair challenges:
1. Use of non-toxic dry cleansers which include, but aren't limited to corn starch, rice powder, ground corn meal powder, oat brain or similar.2. Utilize blotting papers and anti-oil cleansers (fresh lemon, etc.,) with a strong alcohol base for spot oil removal.
3. Experiment with alcohol styling products which will also minimize excessive oil.
4. Use hair tools to style hair up and off from the scalp with cotton headbands, hair clips, barrettes or similar.
Additional Oily Hair Remedies
Listed below are additional tips to utilize when addressing ongoing oily hair challenges.
If your scalp produces excessive sebum, which may cause oil build-up, avoid using styling products with a heavy oil base. Products such as wax, pomade or styling creams may encourage oil building.
Alcohol-based hair setting products, such as mousse, hair spray and gel are better for naturally oily hair.
When using any type of hair products on naturally oily hair, apply the least amount possible to perform the required styling effect. Apply to the palms of the hands first, mix well before applying to hair.
Use natural bristle brushes exclusively (e. g. 100% boar bristle). Natural bristle brushes will help to distribute sebum from the roots through the ends of the hair. When sebum is distributed from the scalp through the hair it helps minimize oily roots.
Be sure to keep your brushes, combs, rollers and hot irons pristine clean. Residues from conditioners, styling aids and sebum may transfer from styling hair tools to hair adding oiliness.
Clean brushes, combs and related styling tools at least once a week using a mild cleansing formula. Air-dry tools after washing.
Always clean curling and flat irons after use with clean cotton balls soaked in pure alcohol.
Summary - Best 4 Top Oily Hair Remedies
Knowledge is power.
The best 4 top oily hair remedies are built upon a long and short term comprehensive plan of oily scalp management and short term spot blotting.It's also based upon utilizing of proper use of styling products and hair tools.
Please follow us on Twitter at: https://Twitter.com/HairBoutique. I look forward to meeting new people from all walks of Twitter and learning from their Tweets.