There is nothing more seductive than a shiny roll or sweep of hair curved and pin at the curl of the neck.
Depending on whether the knot is pulled tightly or worn loosely ad how it is adorned can make all the difference in the world.
Patrick Cameron is a world famous specialist in the long hair arena and he is famous for his gorgeous dressy updos and hairstyles. Besides his tremendous knowledge and expertise with long hair, Patrick does amazing things with bridal and formal hairstyles for medium to longer hair.
Patrick has published a series of gorgeous stylist books and incredible videos that showcase his many different hairstyles. With Patrick's permission we are able to present this gorgeous soft updo hairdo, compliments of Patrick Cameron's Dressing Long Hair book which is available in the HairBoutique.com Marketplace.
As you can see, this style requires shoulder length hair or longer hair. If your hair is naturally curly or wavy you will need to blow dry it straight before you create this nape knot.
This gorgeous hairdo, compliments of Patrick Cameron's Dressing Long Hair book, requires shoulder length hair or longer. If your hair is naturally curly or wavy you will need to blow dry it straight before you create this nape knot.
Also now Available In The HairBoutique.com Marketplace Patrick's Long Hair Videos. They will knock your socks off. Check them out.
Step By Step Instructions For Creating Nape Knot Updo Style
- This style actually works best on hair that is "aged. If possible, apply this style to hair that is not freshly washed. If you allow time for the oils to build up on the hair the style actually looks more sophisticated and elegant.
- If you are not comfortable with wearing "day old" or "aged" hair, wash and dry you hair as far in advance as possible.
- Towel dry and then apply a leave-in hair conditioner like Phyto 7 or Phyto 9 that will also protect your hair against blow drying. Using a good leave-in conditioner also gives your hair some weight and manageability. If frizz is a problem combine the Phyto 7 or Phyto 9 with a little bit of Phytodefrisant or similar anti-frizz product.
- Use a hair pick or wide toothed comb to carefully detangle your hair. Always remember to start at the bottom of your hair and work your way up to the roots. Take your time so you don't snag or break your hair.
- Blow dry your hair upside down so that it is as straight as possible. Use a heat protectant spray to protect your hair. If your hair is naturally wavy you may want to consider using a good temporary straightening balm. Right before blow drying, apply a good gel or other product at the roots of the hair to add volume if you want a fuller look at the roots.
- When your hair is dry, finger pick it smooth and then brush it carefully. Use a paddle brush.
- Smooth your hair into a low ponytail. A low ponytail is a tail that would have the knot gathered close to the nape of your neck (As shown in the photo to the side).
- Put a "hair friendly" elastic coated hair band like Blax or a hair bungee in your hair to hold the ponytail. You may want to use a band that matches your hair color.
- Take the entire length of the ponytail and fold the ponytail under to form a large soft curl with about 1/2 the length of the ponytail sticking up close to the back of your head.
- Put a clip on the extra hair so that you can pin the first big curl close to your head.
- After you have pinned the ends of the ponytail take the remaining hair and wrap it up and over the ponytail holder. Pin the remaining looped ponytail to the other side of your head.
- Use a good hair spray and lightly spray the new knot to hold in place.
- This simple, but elegant style, can be dressed up in a variety of fabulous ways. Use a gorgeous crystal encrusted Condor Clip to instantly glam up the knot. You can add one or two gorgeous hair sticks as purely accent pieces. Or you can accentuate the style with some beautiful sparkly pins. You can make the knot as tight or loose as you like. It will create a soft look at the nape of your neck.
- It is always important to remember to spray your hair before you add any hair accessories or hair jewelry like hair sticks, floating hair gems of the like. It is always helpful to carry a few extra hair pins in your purse in case you lose some of the pins in the process.
This style looks great on just about any face shape, hairstyle or color of hair for anyone that wants a fabulous but simplely elegant style. It instantly dresses up your look.
Note: If you enjoyed reading about this hairstyle you will probably also enjoy Patrick Cameron's book or his fabulous long hair videos available from the Hair Boutique Marketplace.