Master hair stylist, Barbara Lhotan, has created an elegant twisted updo hair style which is pure hair fantasy.
This hot new hairdo is perfect for any special event such as a wedding, prom, homecoming or similar. This stunning work of hair art requires hair which is medium or slightly longer in length with medium thickness.
Although this inspired updo could work with temporarily straightened naturally curly or wavy hair, the style works best on hair which is straight.
This gorgeous updo is best created by an experienced stylist who can work from all angles to smooth, twist and fold the hair into a stunning finished style.
Unless you have lots of practice working with you hair or creating similar styles at home, this style may be best left to the professionals.
Born with a special gift for designing spectacular hair creations, Barbara is known in the hair industry as the “Personal Trainer” for stylists wishing to learn to work with long hair.
She has graciously recreated her design in a step-by-step format which you can take to your hair stylist for reference.
Step By Step Instructions
This hair style is best created on second day or day old hair which is not freshly shampooed. The style is easier to create when hair contains some natural oil.
If you wish to wash your hair before creating this updo be sure to apply styling products which provide the hair with a good texture to hold the hairstyle.
1. Direct all the hair back off your face pulling hair into a high ponytail on top of the head. The base of the pony tail should be positioned right near the crown at the back of the head.
2. Use an elastic hair friendly band like a Blax in the same color as your hair to hold the ponytail in place. Use a band you don't mind cutting since you'll be doing so in a future step.
3. Separate the hair in the newly formed ponytail into individual sections.
4. Starting at the base of the pony roll individual sections of hair into 1 1/2" to 2" hot rollers.
5. Layer the hot rollers by working from the bottom of the ponytail to the top of the head. The goal of the rollers is to create a slight bend in the hair.
6. Leave the curlers in place until they have completely cooled.
7. Once the hot rollers have completely cooled carefully unwind and remove the curlers one at a time.
8. After all the hot rollers have been removed use a scissors and carefully cut the elastic band to remove the ponytail.
9. Use the long tail of a comb and create a square parting which runs from behind each ear up and across the back of the crown.
10. Lift the crown hair up from the new square parting. Using the bristles of a boar’s head brush gently back comb the hair.
11. Tease down the center section.
12. Tease the top hair, but not at the nape.
13. Direct the middle section of hair to the top of the head. Smooth with a comb and secure with 4 pins.
14. Separate hair out at the corners behind the ears. Section behind the ear and then divide the hair into two separate sections. Tease them together.
15. With the right hand behind the hair bring the pony tail piece towards the back of the ear and fold.
16. Leave the tail piece free.
17. Spray hair and repeat step #15 on the opposite side.
18. Leave the lower section down. Make large barrel curls with two fingers leaving the ends out. Pin into place. Secure a curl on either side with bobby pins the same color as your hair.19. Pull out a few strands of hair around the face and twist them gently to soften the look.
20. Spray the finished style with a super holding hairspray to guarantee long lasting results.
21. Apply a few drops of shine to the palms of your hands and carefully smooth over the top of the updo to add instant sparkle.
This sleek and sophisticated updo can be instantly dressed up with well placed clusters of Austrian Crystal encrusted hair pins, jeweled magnets or floating baubbles that catch glimmers of light.
Give the hairstyle a softer appeal by pinning a large fresh flower on either side of the finished updo.
About Barbara Lhotan
When Barbara Lhotan is not busy creating spectacular new hairstyles for long hair she is traveling around the country training other stylists in the art of updos. She can also be found creating masterpieces for hair shows and extravaganzas.
Her successful updo hairstyle book, 5 Minute Trendy Updos published by Inspire was stunning and featured leading edge styles.
Social Media Network Information
Please follow me on Twitter at: http://Twitter.com/HairBoutique. I look forward to meeting new people from all walks of Twitter and learning from their Tweets. Visit us at Hairboutique.com located at: http://www.HairBoutique.com, on Facebook, MySpace and YouTube.
Thank you for visiting us at The HairBoutique Blog and for leaving your comments. They are very much appreciated.
We apologize in advance but must remove any direct advertisements or solicitations.
Note: All images and notes reprinted with special permission from Barbara Lhotan and Inspire. From the book, Inspire: Hair Fashion For Salon Clients - Volume 40 Dressing Up Brides, Up Dos, Formals.