Jennifer Lopez is a hair trendsetter who also happens to have top celebrity hairdresser Ken Paves on her speed dial. Ken has been creating fabulous styles for Jennifer for many years.
Their history of working together includes work on The Wedding Planner and Gigli as well as a dizzying array of Red Carpet events.
Recently Ken and Jennifer created a media frenzy when they arrived together at Tom and Katy's wedding in Italy. Although the papparrazi assumed Ken was at the wedding to do the bride's hair, in reality he was there to do Jennifer's tresses.
It was no surprise when Jennifer appeared recently on the arm of her husband at The Friends of Los Angeles Free Clinic Annual Dinner Gala coiffed in a stunning Old Hollywood hairstyle.
Ken graciously shared his secrets of Jennifer's lush style.
Old Hollywood Hairstyle
At the recent awards show the gorgeous rising star wore a luscious Vera Wang gown that perfectly hugged her curves.
She looked like a goddess as she strolled the Red Carpet and glided across the stage to accept her prestigious award.
Izabella topped off her award winning gown with a mane of soft and sexy ringlets which framed her beautiful oval face.
Izabella's tresses were colored a rich dark chocolate hue that was glossy and shimmering.
Her hair had hints of contrasting toffee highlights woven throughout which gave Izabella's strands the appearance of rich fullness and luster.
The alternating toffee highlights placed against the dark chocolate base also helped to bring out that magnificent shine.
Ironically Izabella's tresses were considered controversial during her American Idol tenure.
Her initial medium length hairstyle consisted of a natural African American "afro" hair style with very tight curls.
As Izabella progressed into the Idol finalist's round, her hair was dramatically restyled by famous American Idol hairdresser, Dean Banowitz.
Applying a chemical relaxing formula, Dean took Izabella from her natural kinky curls to stick straight tresses.
The famous celebrity hairdresser also reshaped her hair by carving in long, graduated layers which softly hugged her beautiful face along the sides. He opened up her face by removing most of her forehead hugging strands.
Since leaving American Idol in 2004, Izabella's look has become incredibly polished and gorgeous.
The aspiring actress has also remained connected with many of her competitors from American Idol.
Back To Izabella's Long Luscious Waves & Curls
At the much anticipated Dream Girls Premiere a few weeks before The Golden Globes (12-11-2006) Izabella showcased her stunning gown with another sophisticated off-the-side formal hairstyle.
Her tresses were softly coiffed into barrel curls and worn cascading off one side of her gorgeous face in a classy formal style. She looked spectacular.
If you look closely at her photo, you will notice that her Dreamgirls style was brushed off her face without any sign of a part.
Depending on her ultimate hairstyle, Izabella at times has utilized side and center parts as well as playing with wispy fringes along her forehead.
Izabella often wears her hair with lots of movement and volume and down around her shoulders. She often alternates the texture between long and sleek with lots of soft undulating waves.
Steal Izabella's Golden Globe Winning Hair Style
Izabella has a fairly classic face shape. If you look closely you will see that her face has a point at the chin and wide cheeks that taper towards the forehead. Most experts would categorize this as a heart shaped face.
Izabella appears to have naturally straight hair with what appears to be a natural bend or slight wave. Although her hair appears to be fine, she has a lot of hair.
Her award winning Golden Globe hairstyle can be customized to work with just about any face shape, hair type or texture.
This style is ideal for hair that is has a slight bend or wave.
For naturally curly hair the strands must be either pre-straightened or blow dried straight with waves then created on the pre-straightened style with hot rollers or curling irons.
For naturally wavy tresses you may opt to use a long finger diffuser to blow dry with the goal of creating looser waves and curls without utilizing a curling iron or hot rollers.
This style is idea for hair that is medium in thickness that is shoulder length or a bit longer. If you have short or medium length tresses or hair that is thin and fine, you can also instantly recreate this style with one of the great new HairDo clip-in hair extensions from Jessica Simpson and Ken Paves.
Step By Step Instructions
Follow the steps below to re-create Jennifer's gorgeous style:
Start with a precision layered long strands. Work with your hairdresser to achieve the correct basic layered cut. Be willing to modify the style depending on your face shape, hair type, length and texture.
1. Start by washing your hair in lukewarm water with a product designed to add back moisture and to treat colored or highlighted hair with tender loving care.
If your hair is colored like Jennifer's be sure to use a color maintenance system to extend the life of your gorgeous hair color.
2. Rinse hair well and then apply a moisturizing rinse-out conditioner focusing the products on the areas of the hair that are most dry or damaged.
If your hair is fine or thin you may wish to skip this option.
4. Finish with a cool/cold rinse to lock in moisture and add additional shine.
5. Towel blot to remove excess moisture. Apply a conditioning detangling spray or leave-in conditioner and detangle strands with a wide tooth comb working from the ends to the roots.
Create either a center or side part, depending on how you wish to style your hair.
Note: If your hair is prone to frizz apply a defrisant product or mix with your other styling products. It has been reported in the past that many celebrities are big fans of Phytodefrisant for her naturally curly hair that tended to frizz.
7. Separate strands into 1" to 2 1/2" sections and blow dry with a boar's bristle round brush. Blow dry the top sections of hair using fingers to lift individual top strands and direct the air flow from ends to roots. Use the brush to turn the ends under around the edges and slightly in towards the neck.
Note: If hair is naturally curly, do not use fingers to blow dry since this can add to frizz. Use a boar's bristle brush instead.
8. When hair is completely dry separate into individual 2" strands. Use a 1 1/2" barrel curling iron, large hot rollers or 2" self adhesive style rollers.
Spritz each section with a firm holding hairspray or styling product. Roll each individual strand around either the curling iron or curler of your choice.
Work your way around the entire head of hair either curling with an iron or rolling into curlers.
9. Let hair completely cool. If you are using a curling iron, after curling each section, use fingers to roll into a large barrel curl and pin into place to allow new curls to properly cool.
10. When the entire head is curled and the new curls are completely cool, carefully remove each curl one at a time.
11. Spritz strong holding hairspray over the top of the newly released curls.
12. Use your fingers to carefully arrange the curls into the desired style.
13. You may wish to use a curling iron to touch up any sections that need a tighter curl pattern.
Additional Styling Options
If you have natural waves or very loose curls you may prefer to re-create Jennifer's style with a long-finger diffuser.
1. Apply a curl-enhancing cream through the entire length of the hair. 2. Blow dry damp tresses with a long finger diffuser to magnify natural curl and wave patterns. 3. For tightly defined curls, divide the hair into smaller sections after it is completely dry and curl with a curling iron. 4. Once all of the hair has been curled, pin the hair into desired curl formations and let cool. 5. Spray with a firm hold hair spray. 6. When hair has cooled and dried, remove and arrange curls with fingers. 7. Use a curling iron to touch up any sections that are too loose. 8. Use your fingers or a boar bristle brush and direct the newly created curls on either side of your head. 9. Finish with a swipe of shine serum and a spritz of firm hold hair spray.
Other options for this style include adding a soft side-swept fringe, playing with a variety of parts or pulling the hair into a half up-half down style allowing the luscious curls and waves to cascade around your shoulders and down your back.
Since she left American Idol, which in retrospect was one of the greatest things that happened to her career, the multi-talented entertainer received rave reviews for her delivery of Easy To Be Hard in the hit Broadway musical Hair. Her performance was part of an ensemble cast HAIR benefit album released in 2005 and was applauded by fans and critics alike.
|Send this page to a friend..|