In 1987 Christina Applegate captured America's hearts with her characterization of Kelly Bundy, a classic blonde bimbette. For ten years until 1997 Christina reigned on Married With Children.
In 1998 the award winning actress starred in Jesse and completely changed her onscreen persona.
Christina went from the rude, crude trash talking Kelly to a soft, sweet, girl (Jesse) next door working hard to take care of her younger brother while juggling her friends and life with a sizzling hot love interest (Bruno Campos, who played Diego).
The show was heartwarming and provided a completely different view of the actress and her acting talent. Sadly the show was cancelled after just two seasons.
In 2002 she co-starred with Cameron Diaz, Selma Blair, Thomas Jane and Jason Bateman in a hilarious, but definitely X rated film, where she played attorney Courtney Rockcliffe.
The role was yet another departure from both the trashy Kelly Bundy and sweet Jesse, demonstrating another dimension to her acting craft.
After winning the 2003 Emmy for her portrayal of the ditzy yet intrusive sister to Rachel Green (Jennifer Aniston) on Friends, Christina decided to try her hand on Broadway.
On April 18, 2005 she made her Broadway debut as Charity Hope Valentine. She was nominated for a 2005 Tony Award for Best Actress in a Musical.
Christina also won a 2005 Theatre World Award for her Performance in the Broadway role even though she broke a bone in her foot while the show was on the road in Chicago before opening in New York.
The beautiful and multi-talented performer also appeared in the most recent music video with Jessica Simpson (Summer of 2006) where she appeared on roller skates.
Christina and Jessica are both long time hair clients of celebrity hairdresser Ken Paves and have become acquainted and friends through connection with Ken as his "girls".
Who Is Christina Applegate?
Now Christina has again ascended to the top of the network comedy show heap in her turn as amnesiac Samantha who discovers she was truly a wicked person in her now forgotten past. The new and improved Sam doesn't realize she's been estranged from her parents (Kevin Dunn, Jean Smart) from two years, cheated on her boyfriend and is an alcoholic egomaniac.
Note: Samantha Who was cancelled at the end of the 2008/2009 Season in the Spring of 2008.
The show is hilarious and has a wonderful cast of supporting actors and actresses. Christina shines, no, she sparkles in the role which has been crowned the "Best New Comedy for 2007" and has been picked up by ABC for the entire 2007-2008 season. Even more significant, Christina is giving ABC a breakout hit show for the first time in a long while.
The critics had compared Christina to Lucille Ball, Marlo Thomas and Mary Tyler Moore all rolled up into one. She has been applauded for her ability to carry this slapstick show while demonstrating incredible timing and acting. Christina doesn't lose her memory, she only gets better.
With its strong start behind "Dancing With the Stars," "Samantha" solidified its position as the top-rated new comedy and as ABC's first breakout comedy hit in years.
The series, from ABC Studios, took a big step toward a full-season pickup last week, when it received an order for six additional scripts. "Samantha," which stars Applegate as a woman with amnesia, joins ABC's dramas "Private Practice" and "Pushing Daisies," which also have full-season pickups.
Who Is Christina Applegate?
Christina is the daughter of record producer Robert Applegate and singer-actress, Nancy Priddy. Her father Robert and mother Nancy split up shortly after Christina was born (November 25, 1971 in Hollywood, California). Eventually her father remarried and his new union produced a step sister and brother (Alisa and Kyle). Christina and Alisa are best friends and have lived together.
While she was growing up Christina's mother took her along on all her auditions for acting job. As a result, she made her acting debut when she was five months old in a Playtex commercial. Although Christina acted in a wide range of roles for many years, her big break came in 1987 in Married With Children.
Most recently Christina has starred in Hanes Commercials showing off a series of fashionable Hanes clothing options. Celebrity hairdresser Ken Paves created all the hairstyles for the Hanes commercials.
A frequent guest on talk shows, Christina confessed to Ellen De Generes in October of 2006 about showing up at a major Hollywood dinner wearing the exact same dress as Brothers And Sisters star Rachel Griffiths. Although she laughed about the incident Christina told Ellen "Rachel came over, and we're laughing about it. We're laughing and inside we're sobbing."
Christina also told Ellen about the time one of her beloved pet cats (she reportedly has three) was accidentally left alone with her pet hamster. As the story goes, the hamster was eaten by her cat.
Since Christina grew up in Hollywood, she has many friends in the business and is credited for helping the Pussycat Dolls to get started. According to the legend, the girls started practicing in Christina's garage and eventually became a full blown group which is now very popular.
Christina's Hair Secrets
When it comes to hair, Christina has a lot of great things going for her. Besides having one of Hollywood's best hairdressers, Ken Paves, on her team for years, she has naturally great hair.
Off-camera, Christina often opts for a more windblown bed head look that allows her to simply tousle her slightly layered hairstyle with her fingers. Whether she wears her hair carefully coiffed or simply tousled, her hairstyles work beautifully with her face shape, gorgeous skin and stunning eyes.
Christina has highlighted tresses and with her busy acting schedules, her strands take some styling abuse. If your hair is colored, highlighted or naturally dry, consider using a color enhancing shampoo formula or a product designed to counter dry or damaged hair.
Steal Christina's Short Sassy Do
According to Christina's hairdresser Ken Paves, Christina not only has "a lot of thick hair", but she has well-formed "natural waves" allowing her tresses to hold fabulous curls and waves.
To re-create Christina's chin length curly and wavy bob style follow the directions below:
1. Shampoo and condition natural waves and curls with products created for your hair texture, type and current condition. If your strands are excessively dry, which naturally wavy and curly tresses might be, use products to add back moisture. If your hair is colored or chemically treated be sure to use products which address these special needs to prevent the development of additional dryness or damage.
Note: Shampoo products to try for dry or damaged strands: Paves Professional - FLAWless No Sulfates Allowed Repairing Shine Shampoo For Dry Damaged Hair, Phyto - Phytojoba Hydrating Shampoo, PHYTO - Dry Hair System, Phyto - PhytoBrush Shampo.
2. Apply a rinse-out conditioner. Concentrate the product on the middle and ends of the hair.
3. Finish with a cool/cold water rinse to close the cuticle and help add natural shine.
4. Towel blot - do not rub - hair with an absorbent towel. Remove excess moisture so that hair is damp but not dripping.
Note: If you wish to add volume at the roots, apply a volumizing spray like PhytoVolume Actif or similar to your roots. Finger pick and massage the volume building hair products through the root area.
5. Depending on your specific hair type and condition apply a moisturizing heat protecting conditioner or a product cocktail which includes a leave-in conditioner and/or defrisant product along with a straightening balm (if your hair is wavy or curly) or a styling mousse (if you have straight strands and desire volume, natural bend and texture).
6. Separate hair into individual 2" sections. Clip remainder of hair out of the way. Attach a long finger diffuser to a blow dryer. Allow damp strands to nestle into the base of the diffuser as you blow dry encouraging the creation of natural waves and texture.
7. After each diffused section is 100% dry, roll around a large curler or into a free form pin curl. Pin to the scalp and continue to diffuse dry the remaining hair.
8. When all of the hair is dry, remove the pin curls. Bend over at the waist and run fingers that have been lightly coated with shine serum through the strands.
9. Flip hair back over and arrange with fingers or wide tooth pick.
10. Use a curling or Marcel style iron to create random curls along the perimeter of the style.
11. Allow curls to cool and then tousle lightly with fingers.
12 Finish with a spritz of hairspray for hold and to prevent frizz.
(Styling Products To Try: Paves Professional - FLAWless It's A Wrap Repairing Defining Finish Cream For Dry Damaged Hair, Paves Professional - FLAWless Red Carpet Firm Hold Repairing Styling Mousse For Dry Damaged Hair)
Optional Hairstyle #1 - Try A Wet Set
An optional way to re-create Christina's look as Samantha is to start with a wet set. Roll hair in pin curls. When strands are completely dry, brush them out to great soft waves and ringlets.
1. Shampoo and condition natural curls with products created for your hair texture, type and current condition. If your strands are excessively dry, which naturally curls might be, use products to add back moisture.
2. Apply a rinse out conditioner.
3. Finish with a cool/cold water rinse to close the cuticle and help add natural shine.
4. Towel blot - do not rub - hair with an absorbent towel. The goal is to remove excess moisture but still retain some slight dampness. This also helps product to work better on the strands and minimize frizz.
5. Depending on your specific natural curl type and condition apply a moisturizing leave-in conditioner or a product cocktail which includes a leave-in conditioner and/or defrisant product along with an optional styling mousse.
Follow your own instincts and do what works best for you and your hair.
6. Gently detangle hair from ends up to roots using a "hair friendly" comb or your fingers.
Create any desired part extending from your hairline or arrange a desired fringe along the front of your face.
7. Separate all of your strands into individual 2" sections.
Starting at the back of the head (to prevent tangles or knots from forming) use your fingers and apply the cocktail styling mix from the roots to the ends.
8. Use your fingers to gently twist each individual 2" section clockwise from the roots down to the ends. Use a "hair friendly" clip like a jaw or claw (or similar) to secure the twisted section to your scalp to hold it in place.
Note: Keep in mind that the tighter the twist, the tighter the ultimate curls and texture.
9. Continue to work in 2" sections around the perimeter of your head until all the hair has been twisted and secured. This method allows your natural curls to form into their natural texture. If a defrisant product has been used the curls will be frizz free.
10. Let tresses completely air dry, which helps to swell up the cuticle and lend a natural sexy fullness to the strands.
11. When hair is completely dry carefully remove clips.
Note: Do not brush your strands or they may get fuzzy and develop frizz. Use your fingers or a wide tooth pick only.
12. Apply one or two drops of shine serum to the palms of your hands and apply to your fingers. Bend over at the waist and gently shake and tousle strands. Apply the serum to your strands while sliding your fingers lightly through the strands.
13. After the serum has been completely dispersed through your strands bend upright at the waist and use fingers to gently arrange curls into the desired style.
14. Finish with a spritz of hairspray.
Optional Hairstyle #2: Tousled & Windblown
If you prefer Christina's more casual hairstyle that showcases her natural waves, and you have a similar texture for your tresses, it is an easy style to recreate.
Shampoo, condition, rinse and blot hair dry. Apply a good styling cream or mousse and then use fingers to tousle air dry.
If you prefer more definition and movement, use a long finger diffuser attachment with a blow dryer set on a medium to low heat and scrunch hair into the desired shape. Apply hairspray and shine serum for a finished look.
Optional Hairstyle #3: Clip-in Extensions
If you want to instantly mimic Christina's hairstyle with minimal washing, drying, diffusing and curling, consider the Jessica Simpson 15” Clip-In Wavy Extension HairDo option. or the 18" Clip-In Wavy Extension HairDo option.
Use either the 15” or the 18" Jessica Simpson HairDo Clip-in Wavy Extensions to add volume to shorter hair or to instantly transform long hair into a curly/wavy to-the-shoulder bob.
All HairDo™ Clip-in Extension Systems like the 15" and the 18" Wavy consists of one multi-level, contoured piece that creates an easy, fashionable style without the hassle of working with several individual wefts.
A few years ago when I wrote an article about Christina Applegate's performance on Broadway I predicted she would continue to succeed in any role she decided to undertake.
Now the very talented performer is wowing the world as Samantha Newly on Samantha Who. This truly funny comedy which airs on Mondays at 9:30 am on ABC recently scored its best rating to date 4.9/11 amongst adult viewers aged 18-49.
Samantha Newly may have lost her memory on Samantha Who but when it comes to shining in a comedy role, Christina Applegate has not skipped a beat. She is stunning in her new role. Expect those awards to start rolling in. In the meantime set your recorder or TIVO so that you don't miss this very funny show.
Social Media Network Information
Please follow me on Twitter at: http://Twitter.com/HairBoutique. I look forward to meeting new
Thank you for visiting us at The HairBoutique Blog and for leaving your comments. They are very much appreciated. We apologize in advance but must remove any direct advertisements or solicitations.
Original Publication Date: 11/01/07 - Revised Publication Date: 10/20/09
|Send this page to a friend..|
Please follow us on Twitter at: https://Twitter.com/HairBoutique. I look forward to meeting new people from all walks of Twitter and learning from their Tweets.