Always popular for a wide range of hair events from fashion runways to weddings or proms, sky high hairdos never completely disappear from view.
The reason? Big hairstyles are dramatic, unique, eye catching and beautiful when created properly.
Whether you go for a simple and chic high hairstyle created around a high based pony like The Voice's Christina Aguilera, or your adopt a structured lacquered updo from with Fifties Flair, there's a big hairdo for every hair type, texture and length.
They can be worn by any hair type, texture and length with the proper hair products, styling techniques and even add-on hair.
Guido - Redken's Creative Consultant
Guido, Redken's Creative Consultant is a genius for creating some spectacular big hair events. He's famous as being the world’s most conceptual runway hairstylist.
I've been a huge fan of many of the big hair looks he's created over the years.
One of my all time favorites was the Fifties Flair beehive hairstyle Guido created in September of 2010 for Fashion Week and Vogue's Fashion Night Out.
Guido is incredibly talented, but he went way over the top with his amazing updated Beehive.
The Beehive Hairstyle Returns On Pan Am originally derived it's name because it looks a lot like a real hive.
According to some hair experts, Beehive Hair Buzzes Back followed the bouffant in popularity at the end of the 1950s into the early 1960s.
The beehive hairstyle, which has a subtle cone or cylinder shape, could scale anywhere from 1" to almost a foot in height.
A lot of the success of a Beehive depends upon Backcombed Hairstyling Tips to create the best shape.
Big Hair On Short Lengths
You don't have to have medium to long hair to pull off a beehive. You can go with a modified look of big hair even if you have short hair.
A great example was some of the sky high teased looks actress Tina Majorino wore on Legends on TNT.
Sky High Ponytail
If you want to re-create a sky hair ponytail, follow the steps listed below:
1. Wet wash detangled hair in lukewarm water with a cleanser designed for your hair type, texture and condition.
2. Rinse chosen cleanser from your hair completely.3. Apply a rinse out conditioner compatible with your hair.
4. Detangle hair completely from ends up to the roots in 2" sections with your fingers or a wide tooth detangling comb.5. Rinse well and finish with a cool/cold water cuticle closing rinse.
How To Style
6. Towel blot before applying a styling product cocktail including, but not limited to a leave-in conditioner, heat spray and styling mousse, cream or similar.
Note: Consider the following products: Pureology ColourStylist Fortifying Heat Spray, AntiSplitBlow Dry and NourishingNectar.
7. Distribute the styling cocktail throughout the entire head.
8. Use a blow dryer combined with a flat boar bristle paddle brush to dry damp hair in a directional pattern of the ponytail shape.
9. When hair is 100% dry, brush hair off from the face and direct it up as high as possible with the base at the top of the crown.
10. Use a small boar bristle paddle brush or your fingers to ensure a smooth bump-free perimeter.11. Secure the high pony with a hair friendly elastic.
12. Apply a pea-sized amount of ColourStylist SilkBodifier to a clean toothbrush or your fingertips to smooth away fly-a-ways from the hairline.
13. Take a 1″ section of hair from the ponytail and spray ColourStylist StrengtheningControl hairspray down the length and smooth with fingers before wrapping around base of pony to hide the elastic.
14. For a more finished texture use a 1" hot curling iron and wrap hair around the pony. Let it drop for a soft curved finish.
15. Apply 1-2 drops of shine serum or spray to the palms of your hands. Smooth down the length of the finished ponytail.
16. Consider spraying a final mist of ColourStylist StrengtheningControl hairspray along the pony.High Ballet Bun How To
1. Brush either wet or dry cleansed hair which is 100% dry into a smooth pony tail.2. Pull hair up and secure at the top of the crown.
3. Divide pony tail into two equal sections.4. Twist your first section clockwise.
5. Wrap twist clockwise around the base of the newly formed pony.
6. Pin with bobby pins which have been pre-sprayed with hairspray. Apply the pins with the
wavy side down for a firm grip.
7. Now repeat wrap with the second twisted section.
8. Apply hair spray or hair gel for added sleekness.If you want a more extreme sky high knot, push the pony base up towards the hairline.
Do more back brushing and apply lots of gel from the nape of the neck to the hairline.
Summary - Sky High Hairdos
Big hairstyles can be amped up or toned down depending upon the hair statement you wish to make.
Hair products, back brushing, even clip-in or fusion strands can take a soft sassy pony, knot or updo and blow it way out.Big hair can be styled on any type, texture or length of hair with the proper products, styling techniques and even some add-on strands.