Due to a series of life events sometimes we need emergency hair rescue help. Hair catastrophes can range from a frizzy hair freak-out to a total hair color meltdown.
What to do? Take a deep breath, relax and contact your regular stylist, if you need professional hair intervention.
Depending upon the severity of the hair emergency the recommended hair rescue help may require long term care. Listed below are some of the most common follicle emergencies requiring hair rescue help with some suggested treatments.
1. Frizzy Hair Freak-out - Out of control frizz is one of the most common consumer hair emergencies. Although hair frizz can happen to anyone, people with naturally textured, chemically treated, damaged or exceptionally dry hair may have the biggest need for a hair intervention.
While it's best to prevent frizz by utilizing an ongoing treatment plan, if frizz suddenly explodes and threatens to spoil a special hair event consider the following instant hair rescue help treatments:
- Apply 1-2 drops of shine serum cream, lotion, oil, spray or mist into the palms of your hands to mix completely. Lightly brush product infused hands over the top of your hair and lightly finger pick the product through your strands to smooth frizz.
- Pull hair back into a pony, top knot, chignon, braid or bun to keep strands from frizzing further. Use a head band, hair clip, bobby pins or similar to help secure hair.- Add 1-2 drops of jojoba oil or similar to the palms of your hands and massage well. Use oil moistened hands to apply oil to frizz challenged areas.
- If all else fails use a spray bottle with clear water or water infused with 1 drop of leave-in conditioner and spritz frizzy areas of hair.
2. Split End Explosion - While it's always best to keep hair rips and splits trimmed, there are time when a temporary band-aid is required to make hair look polished and glam. Consider the following instant hair rescue help treatment for split ends:
- Lightly mist a shine spray or a shine enhancing styling spray onto a large clean toothbrush. Lightly skim the brush over split ends to smooth individual untamed or fly-away tresses. If you prefer, use a gloss or shine cream and apply a tiny bit on fingertips before applying to split ends.- To camouflage split ends either wear hair pulled up into a hair twist or bun with the ends tucked and pinned.
- If you wish to wear your hair down use a curling iron with a heat protectant product to curl ends under to hide splits.
3. Sticky, Oily Or Dull Tresses - When hair feels sticky, tacky, gooey or oily it may sometimes be due to hair product build-up on the strands. Tresses may also look dull, limp or lifeless. This condition can also occur due to climate change or other environmental toxins. The best hair rescue help is most likely the use of a clarifying treatment during the cleansing cycle.
However, if you need an instant hair fix consider the following options:
- Utilize a dry hair shampoo or a pinch of cornstarch to soak up any sticky or oily residue on top of the hair. Do not use baby or any type of bath powder unless it contains a cornstarch base.- Use a piece of clean cheesecloth or similar oil absorbing cloth and dab directly onto the oily or sticky areas to remove the toxins. You can also wrap around a brush and lightly brush through hair.
- Pull hair up into a ponytail, bun or braid until you have time to use a clarifying shampoo or similar treatment.
4. Dry, Damaged & Over-Processed Hair
Dry, damaged and over-processed hair usually doesn't happen overnight. It's usually the result of a series of moisture robbing treatments including too-frequent washings in scalding hot water, harsh chemical hair processing with bleach, dyes, hair color, relaxers and/or straighteners.
The best emergency hair rescue help is to do a hot oil or pre-cleansing deep conditioning treatment followed by a no-poo or conditioning only wash (CO-Wash) in cool or cold water.
Other hair rescue help might include a rinse-out rehydration and/or a deep conditioning treatment. When possible, hair should be treated with a leave-in conditioner and be air dried without any damaging heat.
Instant Hair Rescue Help
If instant hair rescue help is required, apply a moisturizing or hydrating leave-in cream treatment to dry, parched strands. Pull hair back to allow the cream or hydrating treatment to soak into strands.
For professional hair intervention consider booking a keratin treatment to help strengthen strands and prevent breakage. A keratin treatment is also excellent for weak hair and will add a beautiful glossy shine.
5. Dry, Damaged, Burned Or Irritated Scalp
Besides out of control frizz, scalp problems ranging from dry, damaged, burned and/or irritated is one of the most common consumer hair emergencies. Another common problem is dandruff or scalps which have been burned by the sun, hot tools or chemicals.
The best hair rescue help for dry, damaged, burned or irritated scalps includes the application of a leave-in scalp soothing oil, cream, aloe based drops or treatment.
A scalp exfoliator designed for sensitive scalps would also be a good hair rescue help. A gentle exfoliating treatment will help slough off dead skin or peeling skin from a sun or chemical burn.
6. Hair Color Meltdown
Hair color meltdowns can occur due to a botched hair color treatment at the salon, but the most common hair color disasters occur due to home hair color kits. Whether your color meltdown was triggered by a professional or at your own hands, the best hair rescue help is to take a deep breath and give yourself a 24 hour cooling off period.
One of the worst mistakes hair consumers can make with botched hair color is to try and instantly fix it rather than taking the time to evaluate the best plan for repair.
When consumers try to fix horrible hair color by applying more product on top of the botched hue, the situation may become instantly worse.
The very best plan is to call a professional color correction expert and ask for a consultation on what it would take to repair your damaged color. If you still have the empty hair color kit, check the packaging for a toll free number and contact the manufacturer consumer help line to ask for phone advice.
If a color correction professional is outside your budget, call local cosmetology colleges to see if they offer affordable color correction services.
SummarySometimes we need emergency hair rescue help for a range of hair catastrophes which can range from a frizzy hair freak-out to a total hair color meltdown. Luckily there is hair rescue help for some of the most common hair follicle emergencies.