Wearing hair to one side of the head is referred to as a side hairstyle.
While directing hair to one side may seem pretty straightforward this blog addresses 24 side hairstyle secrets.
History - 24 Side Hairstyle Secrets
1. Suzanne Sommers who famously played Chrissy Snow on ABC TV's Three's Company wore her hair in a side ponytail positioned near the top of her crown. The style was accidental due to damage from her hair before filming started. The side pony became her signature style when the show first aired on March 15m 1977.
2. In the December2005 issue, Glamour Magazine's hair police deemed Eva Longoria's asymmetrical high side ponytail worn at a music awards show to be a Don't.
3. Glamour's take on the side hairstyle?
The magazine said "we're all for adventuresome hairstyling, but be warned: lopsided locks have never been easy to pull off graceful." Glamour also viewed the side hairstyles worn in the same time frame by Mary J. Blige and Rebecca Romijn as concerning.Dos And Don'ts - 24 Side Hairstyle Secrets
4. Hair worn to the side of the head can be positioned from the absolute top of the head like Chrissy Snow's ponytail or nestled down at the very base of the neck.5. Side hairstyles can be positioned in front of or behind the ear.
6. The ultimate design of a side hairstyle can be sophisticated, sexy, sassy, fun or tousled.7. Hair which is directed to the side of the head can be worn secured with an elastic, hair clip, barrette or tie. It can also be draped loosely without being contained.
8. Side hairstyles work for hair which is medium to very long in length. It also works for all types and textures of hair.
9. A beautiful way to wear hair for a more formal event, side hairstyles work great for weddings, proms or other dressy parties.10. Side hairstyles can be sleek or full of movement with lots of styling options.
11. Whether worn in a pony, braid, chignon, straight or with texture, side hairstyles offer a myriad of options.2014 - Side Hairstyles Are A Big Do - HowTo
Although Glamour gave the asymetrical hairstyle a thumbs down in 2005, in 2014 they are sizzling hot. Consider the following options to jazz up any side hairstyle:
12. Employ a fabulous fringe to make a side hairstyle your own unique hair statement:
a. Combine a great piecey, swingy eye-grazing fringe with a beautiful side swept style for a sophisticated style. Blow dry the fringe with a round brush for more bounce.b. Go with a va-va-voom sexy side-swept fringe designed to seamlessly blend into the side swept pony, braid or hair for pure sizzle.
c. Try a long sexy fring with a middle par and tousled side pony to create cheekbones you never knew you had. Ad a slight bend at the ends with the twirl of a curling iron.
Bang Don'ts - Side Hairstyles
13. Banish bad bangs to avoid overpowering any side hairstyle. Take a potential Don't to a beautiful Do by avoiding the following:
a. Avoid bushy sheepdog bangs. If they're too chunky and have no obvious definition, they're too much.b. Never let a fringe just hang straight without any definition. It gives hair an unfinished look. Eyes will zone in on the straight bangs and miss the sexy side hairstyle.
Amp Up Side Hairstyles With Parts
14. Parts are always a great option for creating a customized side hairstyle. Consider these options:
a. Go with a deep side part on the opposite side of the head where the hair will be secured into a pony, braid or loosely gathered.b. Experiment with a short side or center part for a different profile.
c. Match your side part to the same side as the hairstyle for a unique flow.
Chic It Up, Amp It Up And Accessorize
15. Chic up your side hairstyle. Position it behind one ear near the nape of the neck. Add a great shimmer with a tiny bit of shine serum. Finish with fabulous earrings, lipstick and eye make-up.
16. Wear a half-up/hair-down style with the bottom half of the hairstyle pulled into a sassy braid.17. Add volume to the top of the hair and taper down to a fishtail braid or similar.
18. Combine your side-swept hairstyle with a beautiful thin headband worn a few inches back from the hairline.
19. Clip in a vibrantly colored section of hair and weave it into your plait or pony.
20. Create a three strand braid, pull it over one shoulder and then use fingers to lightly deconstruct the plaits for a more tousled style.21. Direct all hair to one side. Add a clip to the back of the head to hold hair in place. Use a curling iron to create loose waves and direct over the shoulder.
22. Wrap hair into a sleep pony and then coil into a side knot, chignon or similar.23. Create lots of interest by adding a variety of contrasting bobby pins or hair clips.
24. Finish with a loose beanie or beret.The Right Hair Products
Whether you create your side hairstyle on newly wet washed or dry cleansed hair, be sure to use the very best products to give your hair shimmer and shine.
Use shampoo, conditioners, mousse, styling creams and sprays which will create the finish you desire.
Try the new Roux Anti-Aging Hair Serum Leave-in Treatment for a beautiful hydrating treatment which leaves hair soft, shiny and full of movement.
Summary - 24 Side Hairstyle Secrets
The only limitations to creating an amazing array of side hairstyles is the amount, length, texture and type of hair you have.
Even those limitations can be addressed with fusion or clip-in extensions, hot irons and straightening products.
When it comes to side hairstyles, Glamour may have deemed them tricky back in 2005, but for 2014 they are a big win when you're willing to let your imagination go wild.
Disclaimer: This blog is based upon my own personal opinion. All content provided in this blog is for informational purposes only.
Hairboutique.com makes no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any links on this site.All images are credited and constitute fair use. This site strictly follows all DMCA requirements.
Please follow us on Twitter at: https://Twitter.com/HairBoutique. I look forward to meeting new people from all walks of Twitter and learning from their Tweets.