Even if you were born with stick straight hair, as some people are, it's still possible be challenged with frizz, kinks, snags and hair wrinkles.
Celebrity LA based hairstylist Robert Hallowell graciously shared his tips on to how to have beautiful silky, shiny, straight hair regardless of your hair type, texture, length, current hair condition and whether or not you're wearing extensions.
Note: Robert is an expert with extensions and uses a variety of systems including Great Lengths.
Prep Hair For Styling Silky Straight
Follow Robert's suggestions below:
1. Start by cleansing hair in lukewarm water. When water is too hot, it may strip hair of natural oils which canresulting in frizzy, fly-a-way tresses.
2. Use a formula designed for your hair type, texture, length and current condition. You may wish to consider using a diluted formula to prevent drying out your hair.
Mix 1 teaspoon of shampoo to 1 quart of lukewarm water in a clean bottle. Shake gently to create a foam.
3. Dowse hair with water. Drizzle diluted shampoo onto the top of your roots and allow the suds to flowdown the length of your strands. Gently pat the suds down the hair.
4. Rinse well.5. Gently squeeze excess water from strands with fingers.
6. Apply rinse out conditioner designed for your hair type and texture to the middle and ends of the strands7. Use a hair friendly detangling comb or your fingers. Carefully work through 1-2" sections of hair
with the comb or your fingers to detangle carefully.8. Once hair is completely detangled, rinse hair, leaving a small amount of leave-in conditioner
on tresses to soften.9. Finish with a cool or cold water rinse to seal the strands and encourage silky shiny straight hair.
10. Towel blot hair to remove excess water.
1. Detangle hair again if needed.2. Apply styling cocktail consisting of a heat-protectant leave-in conditioner mixed with a straightening balm, cream, gel or
spray depending upon your hair type, texture and length.
Use a styling cream if your hair is short or very short and needs more weight or control.
Styling cream: If your hair is shorter and needs a little more weight to keep the curls from springing back up, weigh it down with a styling cream.
Note: Spritz a volumizing spray onto the roots of damp hair to add a little extra lift and oomph.
3. Separate hair into individual 2" sections.4. Use a 100% boar bristle paddle style brush combined with a blow dryer with a concentrator.
Note: If you prefer more body and movement, use round boar bristle brush instead of a paddle brush.
5. Dry hair on a low, cool/cold setting.6. Direct heat down the hair shaft from the roots to the ends.
7. When hair is almost dry, switch to a 100% boar bristle round brush to gently turn ends slightly inward.
1. Once hair is completely dry, separate into individual 2" sections.2. Pass over each section with a flat iron.
3. Spritz a tiny bit of shine spray onto the palms of hands. Massage hands together.4. Lightly brush palms of hands over the top layers of your hair. Only use a small amount since too
much shine spray can weigh down strands due to the silicone-based ingredients.
Robert cautions about the use hairspray. Alcohol-based sprays can make tresses sticky or look dull because it forms a coating on your strands.
Use it sparingly, if at all.
Summary - How to Have Beautiful Silky, Shiny, Straight Hair
If you've followed the steps about on how to have beautiful, silky, shiny, straight hair and still experiencing dryness, frizz or other problems consider the following possibilities:
1. You're probably not using enough styling product on damp hair.2. You may not be drying hair totally, so you're left with frizz.
3. Your straightening balm is low quality or the wrong consistency for your hair type, texture and/or condition.4. If your hair is still dripping wet when straightening product is applied, it will too diluted to work properly
5. When hair is allowed to dry too much before product is applied, frizz my result.6. If hair is damaged, it may require pre-cleansing and deep treatment to restore the hair's natural oil balance.
Once you've developed a great regime for how to have beautiful silky, shiny, straight hair you can tweak it to your preference.
To avoid excessive heat wear and tear to your strands, consider only following a straightening routine for special hair events or only once a week.
More About Robert Hallowell
This blog is dedicated to Los Angeles based celebrity hairstylist Robert Hallowell who has graciously provided these great hair styling tips. To schedule a hair appointment with Robert you can reach him at 213-925-4035 or 323-221-6779.
Besides his expertise with cutting and styling hair, Robert is very skilled with hair extensions, color and treating highly textured hair (curly, wavy or kinky).
Disclaimer: This blog is based upon my own personal opinion. All content provided in this blog is for informational purposes only.Hairboutique.com makes no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any links on this site. All images are credited and constitute fair use. This site strictly follows all DMCA requirements.
Please follow us on Twitter at: https://Twitter.com/HairBoutique. I look forward to meeting new people from all walks of Twitter and learning from their Tweets.