Nicole Scherzinger recently appeared on the Red Carpet at The 2010 People's Choice Awards with her raven black hair pulled into a sleek, super straight, below-the-crown ponytail.
Of course she was wearing a stunning smoky eye which she is known for rocking both off and on the Red Carpet.
My dear friend, celebrity Hairdresser Robert Hallowell recently met Nicole on the set of NBC's reality choir show hosted by Nick Lachey. Robert said Nicole is "gorgeous and her hair is thick, long and very shiny." He also said she is "very talented."
Nicole Scherzinger is best known for being the lead performer for The Pussycat Dolls PCD or Dolls) burlesque troupe which she joined in 2003 and which eventually become a recording group.
Nicole has told the media she first became aware of the Dolls performing on The Late Show with David Letterman in November 2002, where Carmen Electra sang "Big Spender" from the Bob Fosse musical Sweet Charity.
In 2006, Nicole said the performance "caught my eye because I’d played Velma Kelly in [Fosse's] Chicago in college." In one interview Nicole spoke of her role with the Pussycat dolls stating that it was a "challenge fronting the group" but that "every girl has something different to bring and add to the success".
The striking raven black hued celebrity performer is known as much for her Raven black edgy hairstyles and sizzling hot sexy fashions as she is for her spunky and sassy personality.
Faux Hawk Updo Hairstyle
One of Nicole's most spectacular hairstyles, at least in my opinion, was a Faux Hawk Half Up/Half Down Hairstyle she wore to the 2007 AMA Awards in Los Angeles.
Nicole's hairstyle was a stunning combination of a teased hairline bump which was shaped to gradually slope like a real hawk towards the crown. The back of the Nicole's hair was styled to cascade down her back towards her waist in a cascade of thick straight strands.
Like many celebrities Nicole has had her tresses coiffed by a range of celebrity hairdressers including Celebrity Hairdresser Janine Jarmon who has worked with her for a variety of projects. Janine is often behind the spectacular styles of Robin Antin and The Pussycat Dolls.
Hairstyle: Faux Hawk Half Up/Half Down Hairstyle
One ongoing question about Nicole is whether or not she utilizes any type of wigs or add-on hair for her various hairstyles. Looking closely at her photo above it appears obvious, at least to me, Nicole is wearing add-on strands which are most likely fusion hair extensions.
With the many options available in today's add-on hair market it's often hard to tell, but in this case it appears Nicole has either temporary clip-in strands or semi-perm fusion extensions in a wide ranges of colors to complement and amp up her base blonde color.
Hairstyle Color: Although Nicole's natural haircolor is a light milk chocolate brunette, since her turn with the Pussycat Dolls Nicole has favored Raven black hues.
Hairstyle Highlights/Lowlights: Nicole's hair color is combination between shiny and matte Raven black.
If you wish to copy Nicole's unique Raven black hair color you will benefit from the assistance of a professional haircolorist, especially if your natural hair color is a light blonde or red.
Texture: Nicole appears to have fine to medium thick tresses with natural bend and waves. Her hair is usually styled showcasing tons of body and lush volume built in around the crown and throughout the sides. Nicole's volume is created with strategically placed add-on strands and volumizing products along with backcombing.
Fringe: Nicole generally favors wearing her hair pulled up and off her gorgeous face.
Face Shape: Nicole's gorgeous face shape appears to be a combination of oval, square and heart shaped. She has beautiful eyes and well-defined cheekbones which slope into a slightly square jaw and a softly rounded chin.
Depending on how she wears her hair, at some angles Nicole appears to have elements of a heart shaped face with a more pointed then rounded chin.
Hairstyle Works Best: Nicole's hairstyle works best for hair which is shoulder length or longer, all one length or with subtle layers. The best texture for this hairstyle is naturally straight. It can also be created on hair which is naturally wavy or curly, especially if the waves and curls can be temporarily straightened.
If your natural hair is short Nicole's hairstyle can be re-created utilizing clip-in or fusion style hair extensions.
Hair Tools Required: Blow dryer, 100% boar bristle round and paddle brushes, long tail comb, bobby pins, styling spray and/or cream, sculpting hairspray, shine spray and/or serum drops.
To add fullness and length you may wish to play with clip-in hair extensions or individual hair extension strands in a wide range of complementary or contrasting colored hues. A clip-in hair piece right below the crown would be helpful for creating the crown hair bump.
Fashion Trending Hairstyles
Nicole is famous for wearing her tresses in big, bold, sexy hairstyles which set instant trends.
When her many fans see Nicole's latest hairstyles they are quick to copy her stunning tresses. Even better, Nicole wears her hair in styles which work with the various events she is attending and complementing her face shape and fashions. Her make-up is always flawless.
Recreate Nicole's Faux Hawk Hairstyle
To copy Nicole's big sexy Faux Hawk Half Up/Half Down Hairstyle follow the steps listed below:
1. Start with a fresh shampoo. Be sure to use products for your hair type (fine/thin, medium, thick, very thick), texture (straight, wavy, curly, kinky) and current condition (normal, damaged, extremely damaged).
Use a color safe product if your hair is colored like Nicole's. For lush volume use volumizing shampoo and similar products.
If you prefer do a CO (Conditioning Only), WO (Water Only) or DS (Diluted Shampoo) process.
2. Finish with a rinse-out conditioner and an optional cool/cold water rinse to close the cuticles and add natural shine.
3. Towel blot, do not rub hair.
4. Apply a leave-in/styling cocktail that contains a leave-in conditioner, heat protectant and any desired styling products such as mousse, gel or styling creams
Note: For lots of lush root lift, apply a volumizing spray to the roots.
5. Separate damp hair into 2" sections. Use a large round 100% boar bristle brush in combination with a blow dryer to dry each section with the round brush. The goal is to blow dry straight with some volume.
Note: If you wish to copy Nicole's hair completely do not create a part or wear a fringe since the key to this style is creating the appearance of a hawk which is positioned from the hairline back towards the crown.
Create The Mohawk Base
6. After hair is 100% dry use a comb and create a U shaped section of hair positioned at the top of the head from the crown to the front of the hairline.
Clip all remaining hair out of the way while working on each adjacent section of hair.
The U shaped area should extend on either side of the top a few inches above the ears from the hairline to the back of the head right about the crown.
7. Backcomb this U shaped section which forms the base Mohawk area with a long tail comb or a "hair friendly" brush.
8. Once you have created the desired height for the Mohawk section smooth back the newly teased strands, twist and press in and up.
Secure the teased Mohawk area at the crown area with a Blax or Bungee in the same color as your hair. Spray the newly created section with firm hold hairspray or styling spray.
Use fingers to gently smooth teased hair down. Anchor the crown bump with a few bobby pins in the same color as your current hair. Place the bobby pins so they are not clearly visible.
9. Separate the section of hair on either side of the head, one at a time. The side section should extend from the hairline to adjacent to the crown.
10. Lift each of the individual sides, one at a time up to the middle of the top Mohawk section. The sides should be sleek and the end of each section should be twisted and then pinned to the middle of the Mohawk section so that the bump part is still visible. Spray well with hairspray.
11. Once the sides have been sleekly pinned up on top of The Mohawk, take the remaining section of hair adjacent to the hairline or where a fringe would be located. Tease this section to the desired height spraying well with a firm hold hairspray.
12. Brush the teased fringe area up and over the top of the Mohawk. Secure the ends of the remaining section to the back of the Mohawk area. Smooth down to the desired bump. Spray well with firm hold spray.
Note: If you prefer, you can use a hair ratt or other hair form as a base for the bump to achieve the most height.
13. Release the down section of hair in the back. Spray with a styling hairspray. Use a flat iron and run through the bottom portion of the hair to achieve a sleek panel of sleek straight hair like Nicole is wearing. Turn the ends under to create slight curve at the ends.
14. For Nicole's brilliant shine add a few drops of shine serum, spray or shine enhancing hairspray to the palms of your hands and then wipe lightly over the top of your tresses.
Nicole's Faux Hawk Up/Down hairstyle is a classic big hair up/down style. It can be backcombed even bigger and can be coiffed with a straight, wavy or curly down section.
This is a classic hairstyle which never goes out of style and is inspired by the big hair of the sixties.
Watch for Nicole to continue to rock the Red Carpet with a wide range of stunning hairstyles which showcase her beautiful raven black tresses.
Social Media Network Information
Please follow me on Twitter at: http://Twitter.com/HairBoutique. I look forward to meeting new people from all walks of Twitter and learning from their Tweets. Visit us at Hairboutique.com located at: http://www.HairBoutique.com, on Facebook, MySpace and YouTube.
Thank you for visiting us at The HairBoutique Blog and for leaving your comments. They are very much appreciated. We apologize in advance but must remove any direct advertisements or solicitations.
Original Publication Date: 01/10/10 - Revised Publication Date: 01/10/10