If you thought Prom or Party hair called for long lush tresses or elaborate twists and updos, think again. As Prom dawns, the hemlines and the hairlines are getting shorter, sassier and more edgy.
Of course gorgeous floor length ball gowns are always appropriate for any formal Party, Prom or wedding but hairstyles are much more flexible and are definitely linked to individual preferences and personal statements.
Blue is always a hot hue for Prom/party fashions like this stunning sexy cocktail/Prom gown.
The soft horizontal pleating on this Jovani #151843 gown provides illusion of curves in all the right places including bust line with it's fashion forward one shoulder flowered strap.
This is the perfect gown for long and lean figures that want to amp up the wow factor in all the right places. Sophisticated with hint of sass.
Prom Hairstyle 411
This edgy and sassy medium bob hairstyle is perfectly paired with the Jovani short cocktail gown. A traditional bob hairstyle, according to celebrity hairdresser Robert Hallowell (Mary Louise Parker, Faith Hill, Courteney Cox, etc.) is all one length.
In the case of the bob hairstyle showcased above, the perimeters are oh so gently layered and sniped, especially around the face, to create more flow and movement.
Selena Gomez Rocks Chin Length Bob
The inspiration for this gorgeous dressy Prom bob? Selena Gomez (shown to the side in a Jovani cocktail gown) who rocked the hair world back in 2009 by cutting off her long wavy strands and rocking out a chin length edgy bob.
If you want to copy this edgy bob you will need to start with a precision haircut. Be sure to get the cut a few weeks before your Prom or Party hair event so you can spend time learning to style your new do.
Of course you always have the option to have your favorite professional hairdresser create your picture perfect hairstyle for your special night. The choice is up to you.
Bob Prom Hair Tips
While this edgy bob hairstyle will work for the majority of hair types and textures, it might not be as compatible with super curly tresses unless you are willing to blow dry them straight.
Hair which is fine/thin can be amped up with volumizing tricks or with the help of temporary or semi-permanent add-on hair.
If you are unsure if this hairstyle will work for your hair type and texture, be sure to discuss your options with your professional hair consultant.
Hairstyle: Edgy Medium Length Bob Hairstyle
This is truly a medium length hairstyle extending just to the edge of the chin in front and a tiny bit longer in back. Be sure to print out this article or find similar hairstyles to show your hairdresser so they can see the hairstyle for comparison.
Whether Sarah Jessica is wearing add-on strands or not it is always impossible to tell because her hair, make-up and fashions are always the picture of perfection. In SJP's case it really is true that only her hairdresser knows for sure if it's all her natural hair or not.
Hairstyle Color: Warm toast dark blonde base
Hairstyle Highlights/Lowlights: Dimensional honey, light golden blonde and baby blonde alternating chunky highlights. Complementary almond and cafe au lait lowlights.
Type/Texture: Medium thickness type. Straight texture with a little wave and bend. This hairstyle can be created on fine/thin hair with a little help from add-on tresses.
Fringe/Part: This hairstyle has an off-center jagged part line which directs a portion of the hair over towards one side so that the hair caresses the top of the eyebrow. This is a faux side swept fringe.
Face Shape: This hairstyle can be modified to work with all types of face shapes.
Hairstyle Works Best: This hairstyle works best for hair which is chin length which is all one length or with very subtle stacked or nestled layers. It also works with subtle perimeter layers.
The best texture for recreating this hairstyle is naturally straight, medium thick hair with some slight bend, natural waves or light curls. It can be copied with or without a fringe.
Hair Tools Required: Blow dryer with optional concentrator, large plate flat iron, optional large hot rollers, 100% boar bristle brush, long tail comb, styling spray and/or cream, sculpting hairspray, shine spray and/or serum drops.
To add strategically placed volume, fullness and length you may wish to play with clip-in hair extensions or follow the Add Volume tips at the end of the How To Recreate section.
How To Recreate Hairstyle
To copy this hairstyle follow the simple steps listed below:
1. Shampoo hair before styling. Use products for your hair type (fine/thin, medium, thick, very thick), texture (straight, wavy, curly, kinky) and current condition (normal, damaged, extremely damaged).
If hair is colored or highlighted use products for colored hair. If you prefer you can do a Conditioning or Water Only (CO, WO) wash or a diluted shampoo process.
2. Apply appropriate rinse-out conditioner and finish with optional cool/cold water rinse.
3. Towel blot tresses to remove excess water.
4. Apply desired cocktail of leave-in conditioner, defrisant, straightening balm, styling products and/or heat proctectant.
Note: Depending on your hair type and texture you may prefer mousse, gel or some other styling product.
5. Detangle tresses starting from the ends and working up to the roots with a wide tooth comb or your fingers.
Create an off-center part extending directly off the hairline using a long tail comb. If you prefer, you can copy the hairstyle with a fringe or different part although it may not look exactly the same.
Note: Model is wearing sexy cherry red strapless ruffled short cocktail dress - Jovani Style #152235.
7. On each section, spritz styling spray or apply cream, starting approximately 1-2" below the root area. After prepping hair with spray or similar, straighten with a large plate straightening iron for a few seconds to avoid burning or damaging strands.
8. When all the sections of hair have been completely ironed, spritz the entire head lightly with a setting or styling spray.
9. Allow hair to dry then smooth back and over to the opposite side of the head from the part to achieve a sexy sweep of hair on either side of the face. Play with tucking one side behind the ear and pulling back hair forward.
For added tousle you may bend over at the waist and gently shake your strands.
10. For brilliant shine add a few drops of shine serum, spray or shine enhancing hairspray to the palms of your hands and then wipe lightly over the top of your tresses. Remember that a little bit of shine product goes a very long way.
1. Shampoo with volumizing formulas.
2. Avoid rinse-out conditioners except when applied to the bottom half or the hair.
3. Opt for the cool/cold water final rinse which amps up hair volume.
4. After towel blotting apply volumizing spray to the roots.
5. Blow dry bent over at waist to amp up hair volume.
6. Use large hot rollers scattered throughout the crown to create lush volume.
7. Separate 100% dry and cool hair into 2" sections. Use a brush or comb to lightly backcomb throughout the crown or along the sides. Smooth hair lightly into place.
Note: If you prefer, opt to create a wet set with traditional style sponge, rag or adhesive style rollers to achieve similar results.
8. Use lightweight hairspray to avoid weighing strands down. Skip the shine serum, spray or shine enhancing hairspray or use just a tiny bit.
This is a classic hairstyle which never goes out of style. It can be worn for any Holiday or Party Hair event ranging from a formal or semi-formal dinner or a special formal dance or Prom.
To amp up the look even more add a bejewelled hairpin clip on one side of the hairline or slide on a thin jeweled headband or tiara.
Social Media Network Information
Please follow me on Twitter at: http://Twitter.com/HairBoutique. I look forward to meeting new people from all walks of Twitter and learning from their Tweets. Visit us at Hairboutique.com located at: http://www.HairBoutique.com, on Facebook, MySpace and YouTube.
Thank you for visiting us at The HairBoutique Blog and for leaving your comments. They are very much appreciated. We apologize in advance but must remove any direct advertisements or solicitations.
Original Publication Date: 01/02/10 - Revised Publication Date: 06/13/11
Please follow us on Twitter at: https://Twitter.com/HairBoutique. I look forward to meeting new people from all walks of Twitter and learning from their Tweets.