Audrina Patridge is one of the most popular co-stars of MTV's "The Hills." Besides her stunning figure, Audrina has become one of the show's hairstyle icons. Over the course of her time with "The Hills" Audrina's hair has morphed through a range of hair hues from very blonde to raven Black.
Audrina has set the Red Carpet on fire with hair of all lengths, textures and styles from stick straight to pulled up into a gorgeous array of chignons, twists, braids and sleek finished ponytails.
The MTV star is famous for her side ponytails and hairstyles. Audrina looked feminine and sexy at the 2009 Teen Choice Awards wearing her hair in a side pony positioned behind one ear and draped over one shoulder.
Side ponytails turn up the classic hairstyle a few notches and create a more flattering finished style. The advantage to a side ponytail is that it can work with just about any face shape or age.
A side ponytail, especially when combined with lots of sassy volume throughout the crown and sides is perfect for Party Hair events ranging from a formal prom to a Homecoming or a wedding.
Types of Side Ponytail Hairstyles
The Side Ponytail can be accomplished with a number of variations which include the following Side Ponytails:
1. Ponytail base positioned slightly behind either ear with tail pulled forward over either shoulder. 2. Ponytail base positioned slightly in front of either ear with tail pulled forward over either shoulder. 3. Side Ponytail with an off center, center, deep side part on either side (left or right) or zig zag part. 4. Side Pony with a side-swept fringe, full fringe or no fringe at all. 5. Ponytail with lots of volume throughout the crown or sides. 6. Ponytail designed with sleek sides and crown. 7. Tail with lots of waves, curls or combined. 8. Tail with stick straight strands
Side ponytails can be created on any length of hair due to the easy attachment of clip-in ponytails, temporary or semi-permanent hair extensions.
Side ponytails can be double up and wrapped into side buns, twists, loops and chignons.
One of the key advantages to a side pony is that most people can create their own customized side pony at home with the help of hot irons, hot rollers or even wet sets.
Side Ponytail Hairstyle 411
Side ponytails can be embellished with a wide range of hair accessories ranging from jeweled ponytail holders, an array of jeweled bobby pins, skinny headbands, jeweled or plain combs or clips.
Side ponytails can be held in place with Blax, Bungee or other hair friendly elastics. Or the base of the pony can be wrapped with a strand of add-on hair or natural hair pulled out of the pony. The options are endless.
Of course you always have the option to have your favorite professional hairdresser create your picture perfect hairstyle for your special night. The choice is up to you.
Hairstyle: Side Ponytail Positioned At Nape Of Neck Behind Ear With Tail Pulled Forward
Whether you create this with add-on strands or not it is always impossible to tell because the technology behind add-on ponytails, hair extensions and clip-in hair pieces have evolved to the point where they are seamless with real hair.
Hairstyle Color: Any color of hair can be woven into a side ponytail although side ponytails look spectacular with hair which is multi-colored to show off the dimension in the hair hues.
Hairstyle Highlights/Lowlights: Dimensional highlights and lowlights work amazingly well with side ponytails.
Type/Texture: Hair of any type from fine/thin to thick can be wrapped into a side pony. Most hair textures will also work in a side pony although some naturally curly hair textures may not be ideally suited for a side ponytail.
Fringe/Part: This side pony hairstyle can work with just about any type of fringes and parts.
Face Shape: This hairstyle can be modified to work with all types of face shapes.
Hairstyle Works Best: This hairstyle works best for hair which is chin length or longer in order to be able to be wrapped into a side ponytail. If your natural hair is short or medium length, they can be extended with clip-in ponytails, hair extensions or clip-in strands.
Hair Tools Required: Blow dryer with optional concentrator, large plate flat iron, large barrel curling iron, optional large hot rollers, 100% boar bristle brush, long tail comb, styling spray and/or cream, sculpting hairspray, shine spray and/or serum drops, array of hair accessories to adorn side pony.
To add strategically placed volume, fullness and length you may wish to play with clip-in hair extensions or follow the Add Volume tips at the end of the How To Recreate section.
How To Recreate Hairstyle
To copy this hairstyle follow the simple steps listed below:
1. Shampoo hair before styling. Use products for your hair type (fine/thin, medium, thick, very thick), texture (straight, wavy, curly, kinky) and current condition (normal, damaged, extremely damaged).
If hair is colored or highlighted use products for colored hair. If you prefer you can do a Conditioning or Water Only (CO, WO) wash or a diluted shampoo process.
2. Apply appropriate rinse-out conditioner and finish with optional cool/cold water rinse.
3. Towel blot tresses to remove excess water.
4. Apply desired cocktail of leave-in conditioner, defrisant, straightening balm, styling products and/or heat protectant.
Note: Depending on your hair type and texture you may prefer mousse, gel or some other styling product.
5. Detangle tresses starting from the ends and working up to the roots with a wide tooth comb or your fingers.
Create an off-center part extending directly off the hairline using a long tail comb. If you prefer, you can copy the hairstyle with a fringe or different part although it may not look exactly the same.
6. Use a 100% boar bristle brush round or flat brush combined with a blow dryer and dry hair until 100% dry. Use brush to build in volume throughout the crown and the sides if desired.
If you prefer to wear the side ponytail straight, use a paddle brush to straighten tresses as you dry.
7. Once hair is completely dry smooth the front section slightly back and over to the opposite side of the head from the part to achieve a sexy sweep of hair on either side of the face.
8. Use a brush, fingers or a comb and direct all the side and crown hair back towards the nape of the neck. Smooth ponytail and then gently position the base so that it rests just slightly behind on ear.
9. Wrap based with hair friendly Blax, Bungee or other hair friendly elastic. Make sure the pony base is secured so that the ponytail hair can extend over one shoulder.
10. If you wish to create curls or waves throughout the tail, separate tail hair into 1-2" sections. Clip all remaining hair out of the way.
12. After curling each section of the tail hair, roll around finger and pin against scalp to allow curls to form a tighter coil.
13. If you prefer straight strands, use a large bed flat iron instead but repeat the same ironing instructions above.
14. When all the sections of hair have been completely ironed, spritz the entire head lightly with a setting or styling spray.
15. Remove all the pins and tousled curls and waves with fingers. For added tousle you may bend over at the waist and gently shake your strands.
16. For brilliant shine add a few drops of shine serum, spray or shine enhancing hairspray to the palms of your hands and then wipe lightly over the top of your tresses. Remember that a little bit of shine product goes a very long way.
1. Shampoo with volumizing formulas.
2. Avoid rinse-out conditioners except when applied to the bottom half or the hair.
3. Opt for the cool/cold water final rinse which amps up hair volume.
4. After towel blotting apply volumizing spray to the roots.
5. Blow dry bent over at waist to amp up hair volume.
6. Use large hot rollers scattered throughout the crown to create lush volume.
7. Separate 100% dry and cool hair into 2" sections. Use a brush or comb to lightly backcomb throughout the crown or along the sides. Smooth hair lightly into place.
Note: If you prefer, opt to create a wet set with traditional style sponge, rag or adhesive style rollers to achieve similar results.
8. Use lightweight hairspray to avoid weighing strands down. Skip the shine serum, spray or shine enhancing hairspray or use just a tiny bit.
This is a classic hairstyle which never goes out of style. It can be worn for any Holiday or Party Hair event ranging from a formal or semi-formal dinner or a special formal dance or Prom.
To amp up the look even more add a bejewelled hairpin clip on one side of the hairline or slide on a thin jeweled headband or tiara.
Social Media Network Information
Please follow me on Twitter at: http://Twitter.com/HairBoutique. I look forward to meeting new people from all walks of Twitter and learning from their Tweets. Visit us at Hairboutique.com located at: http://www.HairBoutique.com, on Facebook, MySpace and YouTube.
Thank you for visiting us at The HairBoutique Blog and for leaving your comments. They are very much appreciated. We apologize in advance but must remove any direct advertisements or solicitations.
Original Publication Date: 01/02/10 - Revised Publication Date: 01/04/10
Please follow us on Twitter at: https://Twitter.com/HairBoutique. I look forward to meeting new people from all walks of Twitter and learning from their Tweets.