One of the most versatile looks for shoulder length or longer hair is the hair up half down hairstyle.
It’s easy peasy, a practical hair style and can be styles in 10 minutes or less.
Even better, this hairstyle works equally well on most hair type, textures, lengths and hue.
Optionally you can wear the hairstyle with straight hair or try it with a range of textures.
Step By Step How To
This hairstyle is ideal for 2nd Day Hair which is either straight or pre-straightened.
A little bit of wave or curl around the perimeter is even better.
1. If you're creating the hairstyle on 2nd Day Hair start by dry cleansing with the dry shampoo of your choice (commercial or DIY cornstarch based)
2. After you've cleansed with dry shampoo, bend over at the waist and brush the powder from your hair with your fingertips or a boar bristle brush.
Note: If you prefer to wet wash your hair before creating this hairstyle, be sure to follow your formal wet wash routine. Make sure hair is 100% dry before creating this hairstyle.
3. Separate hair into 2 equal sections consisting of the hair at the top of your head from the fringe to the crown and hair at the bottom.4. Clip the bottom hair out of the way.
5. Use a back brush to tease all of the top hair right in front of and behind the crown. The goal is to create a mini pouf.6. Once you've created the mini pouf to the desired height, use fingers or a boar bristle brush to smooth it.
7. Position the pouf and then secure the bottom of the new pouf with two long bobby pins positioned straight across to create a firm anchor.
8. Start on the right side of the head in the area of the hair in front of the base of the new pouf. Lift the strand, pull it back around the base of the pouf twisting in a counterclockwise direction. Pin it at the base of the pouf.9. Start on the reverse side of the head and follow the same process as Step 8.
10. Follow Step 8 as many times as you desire until you achieve the look you wish.11. Once you've finished creating the crisscrossed section underneath the pouf, release the bottom section of hair. If you wish, you can create light curls or waves throughout the bottom of the section.
12. Spray the palms of your hands with hairspray and massage together. Lightly smooth the palms of your hands over the top of your hair and finger pick through the bottom section.
Adding Shine Or Accessories
If you prefer, you can also apply 1-2 drops of shine serum to the palms of your hands and smooth over the top of your hair for added shimmer.
Attach a jeweled hair clip or bobby pin to the middle of the base of the pouf. If you prefer, you can attach to one side.
Or you may prefer to position a crystal encrusted headband at the front of the hairline, halfway between the hairline and crown or right above the eyebrows for a more dramatic look.
Regardless of the headband you select, position the band to make sure it enhances the frames the pouf.
Summary - Half Up Half Down Hairstyle
Half up half down hairstyles are characterized by having the top section of the hair swept back into a pouf, braid or other section separate from the bottom hair of the do.The hairstyle is extremely versatile and works well for all types, textures and lengths. It's a Hollywood favorite.