Gorgeous styles are always making their presence on fashion runways around the world. A stunning hairstyle which always impresses the masses is the classic braid.
The classic braid is not only a gorgeous hairstyle, it's relatively easy to create on chin length or longer strands.
It's also one of the easiest ways to change up your hairstyle. Braids can glam up a traditional hairstyle or give them an edge.
Redken's Creative Hair Consultant Guido, is a hair wizard. He created a soft and feminine classic French braid for a recent Diesel Black Gold runway show.
Guido described his braided design by saying “I wanted the hair to be simple and quite feminine for Diesel Black Gold."
The hair guru explained "I love a simple braid, in that the style is both elegant and wearable for most women. For me, a braided look will always be fashionable.”
To soften the style, Guido gently loosened the hair around each model’s face, making the look feel more romantic.
He created the braids on damp hair which introduced a beach-like element.
Damp beachy braids can be edged up to be more casual and accessible for everyday hair wear.
Step By Step - How To Recreate The Classic Braid
Listed below are the steps to re-creating an easy braid which is ideal for shoulder length or longer hair which is medium to thick.Hair should be temporarily straightened.
1. Wet wash detangled hair in lukewarm water with desired cleansing formulation (shampoo, diluted shampoo, conditioner only, water only, or a combination of formulas).
2. When appropriate for your hair type and/or texture, after rinsing out your cleansing formula, apply a rinse-out conditioner.
3. Separate hair into individual 2″ sections. Detangle hair slowly from the ends to roots with fingers, or a wide tooth comb, while hair is saturated with condition.
4. After completely detangling hair, rinse well, finishing with a cool/cold final rinse.
5. Remove excess water with an accordion style gentle finger squeeze.
6. Towel blot hair to remove any additional water.
7. Apply Redken outshine 01 anti-frizz polishing milk to slightly damp hair. Do not blow dry.
8. Use fingers to distribute completely through strands.
9. Take very top section of hair and separate into three sections and begin French braiding, slightly twisting hair to give the braid a messy look.
10. Continue to braid downward, keeping the hair pulled tight.
11. Secure end of braid with an elastic and a piece of leather.
12. Mess up hairline a bit to soften the overall look.
Summary - The Classic Braid
Whether you're dressing up for a special party or event or just wanting a chic casual hairstyle, the classic braid is a great choice for anyone with chin length or longer strands.Photos by Charles Sykes for Redken.