Zoe Saldana's Modern Fresh Braided Chignon - How To
Zoe Saldana stepped out in style at the 2012 Screen Actors Guild Awards® (SAGs) with a tousled chignon which was fresh and modern. It was styled using Wella Professionals products.
The beautiful brunette's hair stylist, Mara Roszak, provided her secret hairstyling tips on how you can create Zoe's star-worthy hair style at home.
Mara explained that she was inspired to create Zoe's hairstylist based on her gown. She said “Zoe’s dress was so inspiring. I wanted to create a "not too perfect" up-do by adding texture and movement to the hair, while keeping it modern and fresh.”
Zoe dressed in a billowing white gown, with floral and sequin embellishments. Many of the fashionistas were divided about her gown but Zoe definitely looked stunning in white.
The hairstyle Roszak crafted for Zoe was fun, fresh, flirty and showed off Zoe's gorgeous skin tone, eyes and lips.
1. Start by cleansing detangled hair in lukewarm with desired products and methodology. If your hair is brunette like Zoe's it requires tender loving care (TLC).
You may wish to cleanse hair with a color safe formula or by utilizing a Diluted Shampoo (DS) formulation, a conditioner only wash (CoWash) or a low or no poo cleanse.
2. Rinse hair well and then apply a rinse-out conditioner from the top of the ears down to the ends. Separate hair into horizontal sections and detangle hair from the ends to the roots with a wide tooth comb or fingers.
3. Once hair is completely detangled rinse well with lukewarm water. Finish with a cool/cold rinse to close the cuticles and add shine.
4. Towel blot hair to remove excess water.
5. Apply the desired styling cocktail to your wet strands. Your styling cocktail may include, but not be limited to a defrisant, leave-in conditioner, mousse or styling cream.
6. Apply Wella Professionals Extra Volume Mousse to wet hair and rough dry with hands and a blow dryer.
7. Once hair is completely dry separate hair into 2-3" horizontal sections. Use a 3/4" barrel curling iron to add waves to the hair.
8. Rotate the direction of the iron to alternate the curl. Work around the head from side to side.
9. Loosely pull the hair back into a low pony and secure it with an elastic the same color as the hair.
1o. Split the pony into two sections.
11. Braid both sides. Wrap the braids into a bun positioned at the nape of the neck.
12. Secure the bun with bobby pins the same color as her hair.
13. Once hair is wrapped up into a bun and securely pinned, apply a dab of Wella Professionals Bold Move styling paste to fingertips and define a few pieces around the hairline.
14. Finish by spraying hair all over with Wella Professionals Stay Firm hairspray.
Zoe's hair looked healthy and shiny. Her hair style can be re-created on any type, texture or color of hair, but to achieve the updo, the hair needs to be shoulder-length or longer.If hair is naturally textured it may work best when dried straight to make it easier to twist into a bun like Zoe's.