In 1942 Ingrid Bergman showcased gorgeous 40s hair in the film Casablanca with Humphrey Bogart.
The 1940s star also wore a series of low chignons, curled updos, pinned twists and 40s glam hairstyles throughout all of her iconic films.
She co-starred with some of the most famous male actors of that period.
Hair Tools Required
Listed below are the hair tools required to recreate the basic 1940s hairstyles like those worn by Ingrid.
- Clear, snag-free hair bands
- Comb with a long tail- Wide tooth comb
- Extra long bobby pins-100% boar bristle brush
- Sectioning clips- Small barrel curling iron (1/2 to 1" barrel)
- HairspraySteps To Recreate Gorgeous 40s Hair
Follow the steps below :1. Wet wash detangled hair in lukewarm water in the best way for your hair type, texture and condition.
2. Rinse well and apply a rinse out conditioner.3. Separate hair into 2" sections.
4. Detangle each section slowly from the ends to the roots using a wide tooth comb or your fingers.5. Rinse to remove the conditioner.
6. Finish with a cool/cold water rinse.7. Use a clean cotton t-shirt to blot excess water from the hair.
8. Apply a leave-in conditioning and styling cocktail including, but not limited to a leave-in conditioner, root volumizer, styling cream and mousse.
9. Blow dry hair using a long finger diffuser with a cup attachment to create natural texture until hair is 100% dry.
Complete the following steps to style hair in the 1940s fashion:
1. Create desired side part with the tail of the comb.2. Divide rest of the hair into 2" sections.
3. Start from the bottom of the head and work upwards toward the top of the head.4. Use the small curling iron to create tight corkscrew curls all over the head.
Note: In the 1940s texture was created by separating the hair into sections and pin curling. Small barrel curling irons can create a similar effect.
5. After you create each curl, roll it again with your fingers. Pin it to the scalp and allow it to set and dry.
6. When you curl the front section, curl it backwards, away from the forehead. Roll around fingers to allow to cool and set.7. After you've curled your entire head of hair with the curls, they've cooled and set, unpin all of them.
8. Use your fingers to deconstruct the ringlets.
9. Make three ponytails down the center of the head equally spaced. You should have a ponytail positioned at or near the crown, at the middle of the back of the head and above the nape of the neck.10. Secure all three ponytails with clear Blax or Bungee hair bands.
11. Lightly backcomb the hair in the ponytail starting at the top.
12. Spray all of the hair with hairspray.
13. Use your fingers to lift individual sections of hair from all three ponytails. Tuck and pin all of the hair around the middle ponytail.14. Continue to tuck and pin sections of hair lifted from the three different ponytails so they seamlessly merge into one.
Note: Optionally you can brush all of the hair with a 100% boar bristle brush to deconstruct and pull into a loose nape neck ponytail which is tucked under into a loose chignon. This basic hairstyle can be molded and shaped into a variety of different 1940s hairstyle shapes.
15. Unpin the front of the hair. Brush or finger pick.16. Finish with a spritz of shine enhancing hairspray.
Summary - Gorgeous 40s Hair
Ingrid Bergman was one of the top females stars of the 1940s.
She was famous for her series of low chignons, curled updos, pinned twists and 40s iconic glam hairstyles which she showcased throughout all of her iconic films.
Please follow us on Twitter at: https://Twitter.com/HairBoutique. I look forward to meeting new people from all walks of Twitter and learning from their Tweets.