When I was in cosmetology school one of my favorite instructors detailed the 8 hair benefits of cold water.
Although some people think cold hair wet washing or final rinsing is a myth, it offers many benefits that should be considered carefully before dismissing.
Hair cuticles resemble shingles on a roof. The hair cuticles remain flat when doused with cold or cool water. Smooth cuticles reflect more light, making hair appear shinier and healthier.
Biggest Drawbacks To Using Cold Water On Hair
One of the biggest drawbacks to using cold water on hair, for any reason, is how uncomfortable it may feel. It's never pleasant to have freezing cold water make direct contact with your body, scalp and hair.
Another disadvantage? If you have thin/fine hair which is naturally straight, wet or final rinse washing with cool or cold hair may leave your hair flat without much volume or texture.
Cool or cold water leaves the hair smooth which may discourage hair without bounce, body or texture. This is even more true if you live in a dry climate.
How To Minimize Impact Of Cold Water
I learned to minimize the impact of the cold water by wet washing my hair in a sink basin. Optionally, if I'm wet washing my hair in the shower, I keep cold water in a large clean jug right outside the shower.
When I'm ready to pour the cold water onto my hair, I turn off the shower, lean forward and pour from the clean jug. This method minimizes the impact of the freezing water on my scalp and body.
List Of Benefits For Using Cold Water On Hair
Listed below are some of the best 8 hair benefits for using cold water to wet wash or final rinse your hair:
1. Natural detoxification - Cold water hair washing assists with natural detoxification. Toxins and waste products are pushed more easily from the scalp.2. Slow down oil production - For a period of time following a cold washing or cool rinsing oil production is minimized.
3. Maintains natural hydration - Unlike hot water washing, cold water rinsing doesn't dry hair, making it prone to damage. Hands down, cold water washing or cool final rinsing is better for hair than hot water.
4. Amps up hair health and shine - Cold water keeps hair looking healthier and encourages an enhanced shine.5. Tightens cuticle layer - Cold water washes or final rinses tighten up the cuticle layer. This minimizes oily scalp and hair problems.
6. Encourages stronger hair - Hair cuticles remain closed when wet washed or final rinsed with cool/cold water. This results in stronger hair which is less easily penetrated by dirt or oils. It prevents dirt from easily accumulating on the your scalp. Stronger hair prevents hair from being easily pulled out during combing, brushing or styling.7. May slow down hair loss - In some cases cold water washing or final rinsing helps in slowing down overall hair loss.
8. Prevents frizz while adding luster to hair - Cold water is known to smooth the hair by closing the scales of the cuticle. This prevents frizz and adds luster to lock.
Some hair colorists also strongly recommend wet washing in cool water to minimize premature fading of hair color. Since the cool water prevents the opening of the cuticles, it minimizes the loss of hair color during the wet washing cycle.
Maximize The Advantages Of Cold Water
Maximize the advantages of cold water washing or final rinses by sealing damp towel blotted hair with a silicone based serum.
Blow-dry with a nozzle attachment set on the coolest setting. Direct air down the hair shaft with an add-on concentrator. Direct air flow down the shaft from the roots to the ends to smooth cuticles and maximize shine.
If your blow dryer doesn't have a cold setting, but has a cold air button, use that to help blast cold air down the hair shaft.
Disadvantages Of Using Hot Water On Hair
In some cases, warm water might be more beneficial for wet washing hair than hot, which can be more damaging.
1. Hot water is considered the best temperature for wet washing hair which contains a lot of dirt, oil or product build-up. This is because the heat from the water pops the hair cuticle open, allowing cleansers to penetrate more deeply and effectively.2. Conditioning products also work better and deeper on cuticles which are opened and expanded with hot water.
3. Hot water should be used sparingly because it dries out strands, strips hair of natural oils and leaves hair rough and lackluster.4. Rinsing hair too frequently with hot water may leave hair overly porous.
5. Excessive hot water washing or final rinsing may also result in dry, crunchy frizzy and brittle strands.6. Hot water washing or final rinsing will help dissolve hair styling products before reapplying them.Best Solution For Using Cold Water
Hot water is best used for wet washing when hair is dirty, greasy or oily. Cold water, on the other hand, adds shine, seals in moisture, and prevents frizz.
Take advantage of both options.
Wet wash, condition and detangle with lukewarm hair, but do a final rinse with cool or cold hair. Avoid using hot water which can be damaging on a number of fronts.
To maximize the benefit, blow dry on a cool/cold setting or use a cool air button.
Summary 8 Hair Benefits Of Cold Water
Hot water washing is a double-edged sword. While it's the best water temperature for hair with a lot of dirt, oil or product build-up, it should be used sparingly because it dries out the strands.
Cold water washing or final rinsing offers more advantages than disadvantages. Since it doesn't open the cuticle, it may not be effective at removing dirt or product build-up. It also may leave fine or thin hair flat and without volume.Ultimately cold water washing has many more advantages than disadvantages.