2014 was a banner year for celebrities showcasing hot short cropped haircuts.
A big question when it comes to short haircuts is what is the definition of a pixie versus a crop or a chop? If you talk to 10 hairstylists, you'll probably get 10 different definitions.
Actress Zoe McLellan who plays Special Agent Meredith "Merri" Brody on NCIS New Orleans alternates between a sleek chic pixie haircut with a slightly longer fringe and a crop with a much longer front directed fringe.
Pixie, Crops And Chops Combined With Undercuts
Pixies, crops and chop hair cuts often are mixed all together by both hairstylists and hair consumers. Sometimes a short hair can be confused with a medium length cut.
Adding to the general confusion is the new trend of shaved sides, undercuts and combined textures, all in one hairstyle.
Haircut Photos Are Key To Getting The Cut Your Desire
All this confusion simply means that before you decide to go with a new short haircut, make sure you take lots of photos to your stylist.
Make sure the photos are large and show the cut from the front, back and sides.
At the end of the day it doesn't really matter what the proper name of your short haircut is, as long as you love it.
Short pixie and cropped haircuts can be worn by all hair types and textures.
They might look better on some people than others. Always weigh all the options before making the cut.
Definition Of A Short Pixie Haircut Versus A Cropped Cut
Hollywood hairstylist Robert Hallowell explained " pixie cuts have shorter layers the entire hair cut."
He said "if you hold the hair straight out from the head it would measure approximately 1 1/4 to 2 inches in length."
Depending upon the hair type and texture a pixie might actually be a little shorter than 1 1/4 inches or a fraction longer than 2".
The Difference Is In The Layers And Fringe
The difference between pixie and cropped hair cuts are the length of the layers on top. Compared to the pixie, a cropped cut has layers much longer on top. Cropped cut layers generally measure 3 1/4 to 4 inches in length.
To make the classification between a pixie and crop even more confusing is the addition of a long fringe. Sometimes a short pixie will have a long layered fringe.
The hair will be cut in layers measuring 1 to 2 inches along the top and extend into a long layered fringe measuring 3 to 4 inches.
I've seen the short pixie and crop haircuts both referred to as a chop. Sometimes a chop can mean either short hair cut.
Classic Pixie Hair Cut - Mia Farrow 1968
Ginnifer Goodwin often cycles between a traditional short pixie and a longer crop. So does Kaley Cuoco who also changes up how she styles her short haircut.
How To Get Glam With Short Pixie Or Crop
If you want to achieve a glam look with short hair, add pieced-out bangs. Avoid short cuts created with a razor which can leave hair more prone to breakage.
Follow the steps below to create an edgy textured look:
1. Start with a pixie or crop with a longer fringe than the top or sides of the overall short hair cut.
2. Wet wash detangle hair in lukewarm water with desired cleansing formula (water only, diluted shampoo, shampoo, conditioner only or combo)3. If your hair is dry, damaged or tangles easily, after rinsing out cleansing formula, apply a small amount of rinse out conditioner to wet hair. Rake through with fingers to detangle and distribute product completely.
4. Rinse conditioner completely and finish with a cool/cold rinse.
5. Towel blot. Be careful not to rub or tousle wet hair which is more fragile.
6. Apply desired product styling cocktail appropriate for your hair texture and type.7. Blow dry hair while shaping with it to one side with fingers to ensure the natural texture stays intact.
8. Spritz the hair evenly with the texture spray of your choice to add edge.9. Once the hair is completely dry, use a small barrel ceramic straightener on individual sections to enhance tresses. Running an iron through dry hair will make it much straighter and impart a rock-chic.
10. Mist some finishing spray directly on fingers. Rake lightly through hair defining single strands instead of applying to all of the hair. This provide a light finish without weighing hair down.
The spray will provide a light hold which looks and feels natural. Optionally you can amp up the shine with a tiny bit of shine spray applied to your fingertips, massaged together and lightly raked through the edges.
Summary - Hot Short Cropped Haircuts
2014 was the year when celebrities had their extensions removed and went with new hot short cropped haircuts.
Whether they can be defined as pixies, crops or chops can often be confusing.
Even worse, hair consumers and hairstylists often have very different opinions of what a pixie or cropped haircut should look like.
One good way to differentiate between pixies and cropped is the length of the layers and whether or not there is a longer fringe.
When in doubt always take lots of haircut photos to your hairstylist when requesting a new hot short cropped haircut.
It will save a lot of problems with miscommunication.Hot short cropped haircuts will continue to be popular at least for some time in the future.
Please follow us on Twitter at: https://Twitter.com/HairBoutique. I look forward to meeting new people from all walks of Twitter and learning from their Tweets.