Anyone can create a quick messy updo in a matter of a few minutes if the goal is a casual tousled hair style. It can be created on any type or texture of hair from stick straight to naturally curly and thin, fine, medium or thick.
To create this hairstyle you will need hair which long enough to pull up into an updo. If your own hair isn't long enough you can also use clip-in or fusion extensions.
If you want a more formal dressy updo, you may need to invest a little more time to get a more finished tousled.
In the meantime, it is quite simple to create a quick messy updo by following these steps on pre-washed, pre-dryed hair (with appropriate styling products) that is long enough to put in a ponytail:
1. Use fingers and a "hair friendly" boar bristle brush to smoothe hair and direct it towards the back of your head.2. For extra volume and fullness at the crown either back comb hair with brush or use fingers to lift and fluff the top part of your crown either before, during or after your are positioning the ponytail base.
3. Direct the ponytail base to be positioned between the top and just below the crown but not lower than the middle of the head. The positioning of the pony base depends on your own goals but it best higher up.4. Use a "hair friendly" Blax elastic band in either clear or the same color as your hair and wrap around hair to form a high ponytail. Gently pull the hair in the tail with your fingers from each side to make sure all the hair is arranged the same from the base.
5. Take the bottom of the tail and wrap it up and around the base of the new pony in a clockwise direction. You have the option to wrap the bun tight or loose depending on your goals.
Note: Actress Maria Bello demonstrates this type of messy updo in the image above.
6. Keep wrapping the tail around the base of the pony until all hair is used up.7. Tuck any left over tail into base of the new wrapped bun. Bobby pin into place.
8. Use fingers to gently pull some of the bun hair to loosen and give it a loose, messy look.
Spray with a soft holding hair spray or spray wax to create different textures.
If you prefer you can pull a few random strands loose and use a medium barrel curling iron to twist so that they cascade from the bun. For a messier effect back comb the ponytail hair after it's created but before the tail is wrapped around the base.
Create a fuller messy updo by bending over at the waist and ruffling hair while back combing with fingers to get a messy ponytail bun or a fuller crown. If you prefer you can use your fingers to ruffle the crown like Maria Bello's crown - shown above.
Experiment and have fun. The key to a messy updo is having fun creating it.
For additional messy updo tips check out:2009 Messy Updo - HowTo
Please follow us on Twitter at: https://Twitter.com/HairBoutique. I look forward to meeting new people from all walks of Twitter and learning from their Tweets.