Bill Henrickson played with insight and intensity by actor Bill Paxton is a polygamist. Except that until recently he was keeping his marriage to three women on the down low while he struggled with the American Dream of owning his own business.
At the end of the last season Bill's best laid plans were blown skyhigh when he risked everything to run for political office. Now as Big Love gets ready to begin it's final season, all hell is expected to break loose as the consequences of his recent actions are felt.
The HBO Network with is famous for edgy, controversial and exceptional programming premiered Big Love in the Summer of 2006 and it was instantly a smash hit.
A key part of the show is the existence of Bill Henrickson's three wives which includes Barbara Dutton Henrickson as Wife #1 (Jeanne Tripplehorn), Nicolette Grant, Wife #2 (Chloe Sevigny) and Margene Hendrickson (Ginnifer Goodwin).
The show is extremely complex, but basically deals with human relationships.
Actual polygomists in Utah have reported that the show is very true to life. Especially the interaction between the three wives who live in three houses next to each other.
I'm not sure how I got addicted to this show except that maybe I was waiting for Entourage to start and watched Big Love in the interim. Regardless or how I found it, I love the show.
The interaction between Barbara or Barb as Wife #1 and the other two wives is compelling and true to life. Jeanne Tripplehorn does a wonderful job of walking the fine line of a wife who loves her husband but allowed him to take additional wives.
Nicollette initially appears to be a troublemaker but she is the wife who is the actual glue holding the three wives together
Barb loves the other wives, but she also treats them as subordinates. In fact, Nicki and Margie call her "Boss Wife" both behind her back and two her face.
Each of the wives takes a different approach to their hair, fashion and overall appearance with fits with their individual characters and storylines.
Barb is older than the other wives and a very contemporary woman who balances children, a career as a teacher and running a house that happens to include her husband's other wives and their kids.
Barb wears her chocolate brown hair below her chin in graduated layers with a no muss, no fuss busy mother/career women style.
Her clothing and hairstyle is very true to life for any working mom, but she does fix her hair by curling it throughout the perimeter when she is going out or dressing up. Her hair always looks very healthy, sleek and shiny, even when she's hanging out at home.
Chloe Sevigny plays Nicolette the middle wife who is a traditional Mormon from all aspects. Her main connection to the modern times is her spending addiction which has driven her secret credit card debt into the double digits.
Last season her character took a shocking turn when she took on the role of corporate spy and had a serious flirtation with one of her male bosses. Her actions shook the Hendrickson family to their core and almost ended in a divorce between Bill and Nicolette.
Even though she has gorgeous long golden blonde tresses, her character usually wears her hair up in a series of conservative buns and odd quiffs with traditional braids. Her hair style completely fits her character.
Nicollete is not the type of wear her stunning hair in sexy styles except maybe in the privacy of her bedroom or for special occasions when she wears her hair down in soft waves or ringlets.
Ginnifer Goodwin play Margene who is very independent and as the youngest of the wives always seeking ways to get attention. As a result, she is always in trouble whether it's from flirting with her stepson, going platinum blonde or doing home shopping network types of shows without her husband's knowledge.
Margene is always pushing the envelope with her hair, make-up and fashions which ties into her character's desire to be her husband's favorite wife. She also is playful and fun to watch as she gains her own sense of power in the family and with the other wives.
Barb, Nic And Margene: Troubled Wives
Although the three women claim to love each other, they fight like you might expect three women vying for the same man to do. The dynamics is very interesting and in many ways it seems very realistic. Some believe the reality show, Sister Wives, was created as a result of the Big Love series.
I love how the three women have such different personalities, goals and agendas which is reflected in their style of dress, their hair colors and hairstyles.
As their characters have transformed over the various episodes and seasons, their hair and clothing have kept pace.
When Nicolette was having an emotional affair with her co-worker, she wore her hair very differently then when she's visiting her family at the strict compound which follows traditional Mormon lifestyles.
Margene really amped up her look, make-up and dress when she was promoting her jewelry line on the home shopping network style program.
Of course who could forget her shocking hair transformation from chocolate brunette to platinum blonde.
I was a little suspicious of the Margene platinum blonde storyline because it was presented to the audience that Margene did it all herself. It's very hard to go from dark brunette to platinum blonde overnight without some challenges. When Margene went back to her trademark brunette she also apparently did it in her bathroom.
Anyone who's switched between brunette and platinum and back again may tell you a completely different story about what it took to make the transition without damage, strange hues or breakage.
Jeanne Tripplehorn - Steal Her Sleek Hairstyle
Although I love all three of the Hendrickson women's hair for different reasons, Jeanne Tripplehorn who plays Barb always seems to wear classic styles which feature sleek and shiny strands which cascade below her shoulders.
Follow the steps listed below to recreate Jeanne's basic shoulder skimming style:
1. Start by selecting a shampoo with a color safe formula to preserve any gorgeous blonde highlights or hues like Jeanne's current rich auburn brown shade.
Otherwise, select a shampoo that works with your current texture, type and condition of hair.
2 Apply a rinse out conditioner which works for your hair's normal texture, type and condition. Consider trying a color co-ordinated mask to intensify your existing color.
3. Finish with a cool/cold rinse to close the cuticle and help add natural shine.
4. Towel blot (never rub or rough dry) to remove excess water.5. Coat damp strands with a customized styling product cocktail containing styling tools such as a defrisant, volume building mousse, gel or other styling products that work best with your hair texture and type.
6. Blow dry using a large round boar's bristle brush (shown to the side - Conair Round Brush) for strong, lasting support. Direct the air flow down from the roots towards the end to build in shine and smooth strands.
7. Use fingers to lightly scrunch near the roots for desired volume and lift.
8. Use round brush to lightly roll the ends of the hair under.
9. Finish blow drying with blast of cold air, if possible, which sets the style.
10. When hair is 100% dry separate hair into individual 2" sections and set on medium sized hot rollers, or curl with a medium sized curling iron to add movement to the strands.
11. If curling with a curling iron, after working with each section, roll the newly formed curl with your fingers up towards your scalp and pin into place to allow the curl to cool completely.
Work around the entire head until all sections have been curled and pinned to the scalp. Spritz lightly with a soft hold hairspray.
If curling with hot rollers, let the curlers completely cool before removing. Once all the rollers have been released, let new curls dangle free before styling. Spritz lightly with a soft hold hairspray.
12. Use a tail comb or brush to create the desired part.
13. Use your fingers and/or a boar's head brush to lightly break up the curls and arrange into a soft finished halo of bouncy waves that terminate into a slight curl at the tips.
14. If desired use a small barrel curling iron to touch up the curls on the ends. Let the curls cool and then tousle lightly with fingers.
15. Apply a small drop of shine serum and lightly brush over the top of the finished style. If you prefer, use a shine spray product and spray into the palms of your hands and then glide over finished style.
Shine Serum Products To Try: Robert Hallowell Prawduct - love that shine drops - 2 oz (60 ml). Robert Hallowell Prawduct - love that shine spray - 4 oz (120 ml) 16. If desired, finish the look with a long lasting hairspray for a silky shine effect.
It has been announced that the 2011 season is the last for Big Love. All the fans are hoping the writers and producers are able to tie up all the loose ends.
I personally am hoping to see some amazing hairstyle transformations for the Henderson women as they end their stories.
Social Media Network Information
Please follow me on Twitter at: http://Twitter.com/HairBoutique. I look forward to meeting new people from all walks of Twitter and learning from their Tweets. Visit us at Hairboutique.com located at: http://www.HairBoutique.com, on Facebook, MySpace and YouTube.
Thank you for visiting us at The HairBoutique Blog and for leaving your comments. They are very much appreciated. We apologize in advance but must remove any direct advertisements or solicitations.
- Revised Publication Date: 01/07/11