In the February 2009 issue of Us Weekly Magazine, Nicole Kidman shared her own favorite hair hacks, which were previously known as DIY treatments.
Do hair hacks work? Or do they make a bad hair day even worse?
Champagne Hair Rinse To Brighten Highlights
Nicole Kidman told Us Weekly her go-to DIY hair treatment was a champagne rinse to brighten highlights. Kidman said 'If you're a blonde, a champagne rinse can work wonders."
True of false? True according to hair color guru Frank Fiscioni who explains "the tartaric acid (in the champagne) lightens (hair) color."
Shower Cap Hair Hacks
While Nicole Kidman was raving about champagne hair rinses, Molly Sims was sharing her own favorite hair hack. Molly extends "the life of her blowout by donning" a shower cap before hitting the showers.
Shower Cap Benefits?
Are shower caps a great blowout extender? Yes, according to famed Hollywood hairdresser Robert Hallowell. Not only will a good shower cap help extend the life of a blowout, the shower cap can do double duty.
Listed below are two great hair shower cap hacks Robert has shared with me over the years:
Moisturizing Rinse Out Shower Cap Treatment
1. Wet cleanse detangled strands with lukewarm water in the shower.2. Rinse cleanser completely from hair.
3. Instead of applying a rinse out conditioner, towel dry hair to remove excess moisture.4. Work a hydrating treatment designed for your hair type, texture and current condition through your hair with fingers or a wide tooth comb.
5. Pull all of the treated hair up into a plastic shower cap.6. Heat up the cap with a concentrator armed blow dryer. Direct the heat from the blow dryer to the shower cap for a couple of minutes.
7. Allow the cap to cool off slightly.8. Remove the cap, get back into the shower and rinse thoroughly in lukewarm water. Finish with a cool rinse.
9. Towel blot and apply desired leave-in/styling cocktail.
Frizz Fighting Old School Shower Cap Treatment
1. Wet cleanse detangled strands in lukewarm water.2. Rinse cleanser completely from hair.
3. Instead of applying a rinse out conditioner, towel dry hair to remove excess moisture.4. Apply leave-in conditioner to the inside of a shower cap.
Note: Use a little extra conditioner than you normally might use, especially if your hair tends to frizz.
5. Pull all damp hair up and tuck into the conditioner packed shower cap.6. Allow hair to remain in the shower cap for approximately 10 minutes.
7. Remove cap and detangle strands.8. Air, diffuse or blow dry as you normally do.
This treatment does not utilize heat. It does provide great hydration to block frizz, damage and dryness. Hair will be smooth, shiny and easier to style.
Secrets Of Makeshift Shower Caps
Although I'm a huge fan of showers caps and have enjoyed great results with Robert Hallowell's hacks, I have my own secret trick.
Because my hair is very long, naturally textured and medium thick, I have found traditional shower caps to be inadequate for blocking moisture and humidity.
Instead of using a traditional shower cap, I turban wrap my hair in a thick hair friendly towel. Not only does it block unwanted moisture, it keeps my hair from forming bends or dents.
Summary - Do Hair Hacks Work?
Some hair hacks sound like miracle solutions. Ultimately they may not work as well as advertised.
In reality, some hair hacks do work magic and can instantly turn a bad hair day into a good one.
Please follow us on Twitter at: https://Twitter.com/HairBoutique. I look forward to meeting new people from all walks of Twitter and learning from their Tweets.