Katie Cassidy was born and raised in Southern California. She current stars as Ella Simms, a smart, savvy, fashion conscious, up-and-coming publicist who strives to reach the top at any cost, on The CW's "Melrose Place."
Many of the show's critics believe Ella has the very best lines of the show and is the best character. When asked who her inspiration was for her character Katie said she is trying to channel a more conniving Samantha from "Sex and the City" but not Heather Locklear who was the original top female dog on the show when it was in full bloom.
Katie is OK with the fact she's bringing through Samantha because after all, she "obsessed with her."
Katie who is the daughter of pop-star David Cassidy was most recently seen on the drama “Harper's Island,” a murder-mystery series.
Cassidy starred as the female lead, Trish Wellington, opposite Christopher Gorham.
Katy Cassidy - Great Acting Chops
Katie's previous television credits include recurring roles as Ruby on “Supernatural” and Zoe on “7th Heaven,” as well as guest starring turns in “The Division” and “Sex, Love and Secrets.”
In addition, Katie recently wrapped two feature films. First up is Chris Carter's closely guarded and highly anticipated “Fencewalker,” opening later this year.
She also starred in the remake of “A Nightmare on Elm Street,” with Jackie Earle Haley for New Line Cinema, produced by Michael Bay with Sam Bayer directing. The film will have a 2010 release date.
The beautiful actress' other film credits include “Black Christmas,” “Taken,” opposite Liam Neeson and Maggie Grace, “When a Stranger Calls,” “Walk the Talk,” “You Are Here” and “Click,” with Adam Sandler.
Hair Texture, Face Shape & Styling Options
Katie is blessed with big beautiful eyes, well shaped brows and a face shape that incorporates a well defined chin, tapered cheekbones and a square shaped forehead.
Although not truly a classic heart shaped face, Katie does possess some of the characteristics. For her appearances in Melrose Place Katie wears her hair a myriad of ways ranging from bone straight strands to softly textured waves. She also wears her hair down around her face and pulled up into messy half up/half down styles.
Katie's hair color consists of a rich honey blonde base with strategically placed lighter blonde highlights painted around her hairline to bring out her stunning eyes and open up her face.
Whether she wears her hair blown out straight, with lots of ringlets, tousled or scrunched, she has demonstrated a fabulous sense of hair fashion savvy.
Although Katie has access to a team of top hairdressers for her array of perfectly finished Melrose Place and various Red Carpet hair styles, with a little time and practice it would be possible to steal her various on and off screen styles.
Follow the steps listed below to recreate Katie's basic hairstyle:
1. To achieve stick straight hair you'll need to wash hair first. While straight strands can be created on "day old hair" it's much more difficult and may require the use of more styling tools which are not necessarily the best approach for your hair.
Start by selecting a shampoo with a color safe formula to preserve any gorgeous blonde highlights or hues like Leslie's current golden shade. Otherwise, select a shampoo that works with your current texture, type and condition of hair.
If you prefer, you can use a no-shampoo, lo-poo or diluted poo approach to avoid moisture loss. Use your favorite shampoo product designed for your hair type, texture and current condition (healthy or challenged).
Shampoo product to try: Rene Furterer Okara Repairing Shampoo. The Rene Furterer Okara line has been especially created for chemically treated hair (perms, colors, straightening). The Okara Extract (soy protein) restructures and tonifies the most damaged hair for a long lasting color or vigorous curls.
2. Depending on your hair, apply a deep conditioner or a rinse out conditioner and then finish with a cold water rinse. Although experts disagree on the benefit, I have found it really helps, for the majority, to close the cuticle and add shine. Consider trying a color co-ordinated mask to intensify your existing color.
Conditioning product to try: Okara Restructuring and Protective Radiance Mask
3. Finish with a cool/cold rinse to close the cuticle and help add natural shine.
4. Towel blot (never rub or rough dry) to remove excess water.5. Coat damp strands with a customized styling product cocktail containing styling tools such as a defrisant, volume building mousse, gel or other styling products that work best with your hair texture and type.
Carefully detangle strands working from the ends to the roots. Use a tail comb to create the desired partings. Make sure hair is not dripping or else this dilutes the products.
Note: If hair is prone to frizz or has lots of texture you may wish to add a defrisant product to your leave-in hair cocktail.
6. Spray on heat protector making sure it's distributed well. Separate hair into 4-8 manageable sections of 2-4" in thickness.
7. Blow dry hair with a concentrator enhanced dryer and a paddle brush a little bit wider than the sections of hair.
Anchor the brush at the ends of each section and direct the concentrator nozzle down the hair section from roots to ends. Finish drying each section with a blast of cold air when possible. This helps to set the style.
If you prefer more volume and bend blow dry using a large round boar's bristle brush (shown to the side - Conair Round Brush) for strong, lasting support. Direct the air flow down from the roots towards the end to build in shine and smooth strands.
Note: Avoid bending over at the waist to blow dry hair. This actually encourages volume and natural texture to form. Since sleek is the goal, blow dry with head held upright.
8. Once hair is 100% dry separate into 8 equal sized sections. Clip up with "hair friendly" clips which won't leave ridges or hair bumps. Undo each individual section, spray with heat protectant and then run through the section with straightening iron.
To achieve bone straight strands remember the smaller sections you use with an iron, the better you can control the ultimate straightness. Remember never to allow the iron to linger on any section of hair too long to avoid burning or damaging delicate tresses.
9. Once you have finished straightening all of the different sections apply a few drops of shine spray, shine serum or a spritz of shine enhancing hairspray to the palms of your hands. Rub hands together, gently swipe over the top of your finished hairstyle.
Shine Serum Product To Try: Rene Furterer Spray Gloss which creates a soft mirror like shimmer when sprayed over hair. It also helps enhance hair's texture.
10. If desired, finish the look with a long lasting hairspray for a silky shine effect. It's important to remember not go make hair too stick and sticky.
Hairspray to try: Rene Furterer Mini Lacque Hairspray - Great hairspray that tucks neatly into any handbag or perfect for travel.
When possible use your fingers to finish the style to avoid teeth or bristle marks from a comb or brush.
Other Styling Options
Katie has appeared on the Red Carpet with a range of updo hairstyles which have won kudos from the fashion police.
Katie Cassidy's career is blowing up thanks to her sizzling hot roles in Supernatural, Harper's Island and now the remake of Melrose Place on the CW. She also has gorgeous blonde tresses she wears in a range of sassy styles along with her gorgeous fashions. Watch for this beauty to become a huge star. Watch out Samantha!
Social Media Network Information
Please follow me on Twitter at: http://Twitter.com/HairBoutique. I look forward to meeting new
Thank you for visiting us at The HairBoutique Blog and for leaving your comments. They are very much appreciated. We apologize in advance but must remove any direct advertisements or solicitations.
- Revised: 10/22/09
Please follow us on Twitter at: https://Twitter.com/HairBoutique. I look forward to meeting new people from all walks of Twitter and learning from their Tweets.