The famous Martin Luther, a seminal figure in the Protestant Reformation, has been quoted as saying "The hair is the richest ornament of women."
Which brings us to the truth about shiny hair. The real truth.
Listed below are a list of truths everyone seeking eye blinding shiny hair needs to consider:
1. Good hair genes play a major part in the existence of super shiny hair.2. Dark hued hair reflects light better than light colors.
Raven Black Hair Has The Best Shine EQ
Raven black hair which is super healthy & genetically advantaged with exceptional care, length and styling can achieve maximum shine more easily than platinum blonde hair which is damaged, genetically flawed or not cared for properly.
3. The longer the length of the hair, the shinier it can be, if all other factors such as genetics, great care and darker colors are considered.4. Textured hair breaks up the light reflections and is generally not as shiny as hair which is straighter.
5. Naturally straight hair which is medium thick with minimal texture reflects light well, especially if it is frizz free and properly conditioned.6. Hair which is short, cut in layers or styled with lots of texture have a harder time capturing and holding shine, regardless of the genetics, color, health of the hair or treatment regime.
Steps To Amp Up Your Hair Shine Wattage
Whether you have a genetic predisposition for high watt shine or not, you can take the follow steps to enhance your hair's shimmer:
Commit to Oiling Your Tresses
Follow the steps below to lay the groundwork for amazing shimmer:
1. Every night before bed apply protective rags or towels to the floor and counter area where you do your nightly hair treatments.2. Apply the oil of your choice (jojoba, coconut, olive or similar) to the middle and ends of detangled, knot free, bone dry hair.
3. Use your clean fingers, cotton balls or a clean cloth to apply the oil. Avoid the roots as much as possible to prevent excessive oiliness.
4. Once you've oiled your hair, comb it through to distribute completely.
5. Coif oiled strands into a protective style such as a braid or bun. This protects against split ends or other damage. Allow the oil to penetrate the strands all night long for the best results.
6. Sleep with a protective covering over your bedclothes to protect against the oil.
7. Wash the oil out of your hair appropriately to your lifestyle. Some people will leave oil in their hair for an extended period, some will remove it every day.
Note: Some types of hair which are prone to natural oiliness or greasiness may not benefit from this oiling process. Do your homework and start slow if you decide to follow the oiling technique.
8. Religiously oil your hair every night or a couple of nights a week to create amazing shine.
Keep Hair Build-up Free To Enhance Shine Potential
When hair is overly layered with hair products, it may diminish shine potential, regardless of great genetics, dark straight shine reflecting strands.
Be sure to do regular clarifying treatments.
DIY ACV Clarifying Treatment
To avoid overly harsh treatments or products, use the gentle Apple Cider Vinegar finse (ACV) which works wonders for all hair types, textures and conditions.
Mix equal parts of ACV with lukewarm water in a clean plastic bowl. After wet cleansing hair, rinse well to remove all cleanser.
Gently squeeze excess water from hair with fingers. Pour the ACV over the hair, catching the excess in the bowl for a repeat rinse.
Continue to pour over hair until all of the ACV liquid is gone.
Leave the ACV liquid on hair for up to 5 minutes. Rinse with lukewarm water.
Finish with a cool water rinse. Towel blot and apply a leave-in conditioning cocktail.
Note: If you don't like Apple Cider Vinegar you can purchase a gentle clarifying products or use baking soda washes instead.
Cold Water Provides Instant Shine
Although controversial in some circles, it's a well-known hair industry belief that cold water closes the hair cuticle.
This minimizes frizz and encourages smoother strands.
The smoother the strands, the better the light reflections.
Other Shiny Hair Enhancing Tips
Healthy hair has a much better chance of being shiny than unhealthy tresses, regardless of the color, length, texture, type or hairstyle.
Follow these additional tips for the best shine and to minimize frizz:
1. Pre-treat hair before wet washing with rinse out conditioners.2. Wet wash with lukewarm water. Hot water strips natural shine enhancing oils.
3. Use the hydrating wet cleaners unless your hair is naturally oily.4. Keep hair well trimmed. Frizzy ends or damaged sections will repel natural light.
5. Avoid getting hair sun or wind burned.6. Prevent exposure to smoke or other environmental toxins.
7. Always finish a wet wash with a cool/cold water rinse.8. Towel blot with a clean cotton t-shirt. Some towels are rough and may damage strands.
9. Take oil internally or supplement with hair shinning Omega 3s.
10. Use the best brush and comb you can afford to keep the natural oils flowing down your strands.11. Always treat your hair like a fine piece of delicate lace and the results will be astounding.
Ever wonder how celebs seems to always have super shiny strands?
Not only do they have access to special lighting to turn up their shine factor, they have the best hairstylists in the business using amazing shine triggering hair care products and treatments.
Fake It Till You Can Make It
If you're determined to have a head of gleaming hair, but you not quite there, fake it until you can make it with shine enhancing hairspray, drops or shine spray. Just remember a little bit goes a long way.
You can also have a glaze or gloss applied to hear to seal in shine. It will go a long way towards adding shimmer to dull strands.
Summary - The Truth About Shiny Hair
Some lucky people are born with shiny hair genetics which includes super healthy, naturally straight, darkly hued hair which naturally catches the light of the sun or moon and throws off a magical shimmer.
Although not everyone has the advantage of shiny hair genetics, but there are still some secrets to shining up your tresses.
Be willing to experiment until you find the very best products for your hair, type, texture and condition.