When cut properly to honor the hair's natural texture, strands can easily transition between soft and strong hair styles.
Actress Willa Holland who plays Thea Queen on The CW's Arrow series easily demonstrates how to take a stunning basic bob and scale it from soft and sensual to strong and sassy.
Getting Started - Soft And Strong Hair
Start with a basic bob carefully sculpted with exterior layers to honor your hair's natural bend, flow and texture.
Work with your favorite hair stylist to customize the best cut for your natural hair texture.
Keep in mind not all hair types and textures are ideally suited to the same cookie cutter haircut.
Once you've received the best hair cut for your hair type and texture, transition the style from soft to strong by molding, sculpting, defining and polishing strands.
Properly selected hair styling products combined with the proper cut provides the ultimate power to create or modify any hairstyle.
Soft Hair Look - How To
The soft hair look, as shown by Willa Holland (above and to the side), is created by layering three different hair products such as leave-in conditioner, gel and mousse or styling cream.
After the styling cocktail is applied and distributed completely through the hair, create the desired soft hair shape
working the hair with the proper brush and hot iron.
Step By Step Instructions
Follow the steps below to create the soft hair look:
1. Wet wash detangled, pre-conditioned hair with product (no-poo, water only, conditioner only, undiluted shampoo) designed for your hair, type, texture and current condition.
2. Rinse hair well.3. Apply a rinse-out conditioner, if appropriate, for your hair type, texture and condition, to hair from top of the ends to the ends.
4. Detangle condition coated hair in 2" strands with fingers or a detangling comb.5. Rinse out conditioner before finishing with a cool/cold final water rinse.
6. Towel blot hair to remove excess water.7. Apply a layered styling cocktail contain equal parts of leave-in conditioner, styling cream and mousse to product a solid styling foundation.
Note: Be sure to use styling products which are compatible not only with your hair type, texture and condition as well as together to avoid a clashing effect.
Hair products have memory, but they don't interfere with the ultimate design.
8. Separate hair into 1 1/2" sections. Create part if desired.9. Rough dry hair, utilizing a blow dryer with a concentrator nozzle combined with a round boar bristle brush.
10. As you dry hair, over direct hair up and away from the face to create a bend in the mid-strands and along the ends.11. Once hair is 100% dry, separate hair into individual sections.
12. Use a large 1 1/2 to 2" barrel curling iron to fine tune texture.13. Press the curling iron into the center of the sections to add more bend to roots and ends. Use the iron to bend the ends.
14. Add a drop of shine serum to the palms of your hands and massage well.15. Lightly rake through the strands pull strands up and away.
16. Optionally you can finish with a light finishing spray.
Strong Hair Look - How To
Easily transition hair from soft and polished to strong and edgy by changing up the products in your styling cocktail along with hot styling tools.
The strong hair look can be created with a lot more gel, less leave-in and mousse while being tightly directed into the desired shapes.
1. Wet wash hair, condition, towel blot and apply layered styling cocktail using gel or other desired styling products for a firmer finish.
2. Utilize hands with a concentrator connected blow dryer to roughly finish hair.3. Use a large 1 1/2 to 2" barrel curling iron to amp up texture working in small sections.
4. After curling each section, roll around newly curled hair around fingers and pin into an open loop shape.5. Curl entire head of hair.
6. Once hair has cooled and set, unpin each section.
7. Tousle texture with fingers.8. Spot curl the edges for as kicked out look around the perimeter.
9. Apply little gel or wax to help shape target texture along the ends.10. Finish with a spritz of styling spray.
Remember to utilize a trio of styling and finishing products which build upon each other for more styling control.
If you decide the strong hair look is too severe for your tastes, you can easily soften and deconstruct it with a boar bristle paddle style brush.
Strong Hair Look - Amped Up - How To
Hair can be amped up into an even edgier look by attaching target wefts which can be blended into the existing strong hair look with some heat styling along with a little wax and spray.
Use desired styling products to add any required support for the strongest hair look.
Note: Be sure to only utilize wefts that are 100% human hair and can be safely heat and product styled.
For an even stronger look, utilize brightly colored strands.
Summary - Soft And Strong HairWith the proper starting hair cut, which honors hair's natural texture, type and condition, hair can easily be transitioned from a soft sensual style to a strong edgy look.