When Beyonce dished to People Magazine about her life post-baby (Blue Ivy Carter was born January 7, 2012), she referenced her hair.
Beyonce's slick hair obsession was explained when the famous performer told People why she was a fan of sleek tresses.
She said "Every day in my life is a part of my history, I've worked really hard on my career and my life. So I make sure I wouldn't be upset if somebody saw me. I've been mostly wearing my hair slicked back in a ponytail and no makeup, just sunglasses and lip gloss."
Protecting Her Carefully Produced Celebrity Image
Obviously Beyonce (known by her fans as Bey) understands that no matter what's happened in her life, she has to guard and protect her image.
If that means wearing slicked back buns, twists, chignons and ponytails, so be it. Under those circumstances Beyonce's slick hair obsession makes perfect sense.
Ironically while the state of her personal life generates major rumors, Bey appeared on her husband's arm at the May 5, 2014 Met Ball wearing her famous tresses coiffed into a slicked back updo.
No one can make a sleek hairstyle work better than Beyonce. Her slick hair obsession was again in view with her sleek, but ultra-feminine look topped off with a chic net.
It was after the power couple attended the Met Ball that footage leaked showing Solange Knowles, Bey's younger sister, fighting with Jay Z in an elevator at the Standard Hotel.
The "Crazy in Love" singer has worked hard to quiet the chatter about the incident and her sleek hairstyle and gorgeous gown helped to muffle some of the gossip.
How To Copy Beyonce's Click Hair Obsession
The way to achieve a super smooth slick hair look is to maintain a super smooth hairline with no loose or wispy flyaway strands.
1. Start with newly wet cleansed hair which has been towel blotted to damp.2. Apply desired styling cocktail including, but not limited to a leave-in conditioner and/or a defrisant or heat protectant.
3. Add a hydrating hair oil to damp hair as the last step.4. Create a side or center part before drying your hair. Styling hair from wet to dry will help to lock in the direction of the part.
Note: To figure out where to place a side part, hold a pencil upwards from the arch of your eyebrow to your hairline. Where the pencil point falls is where your side part should start.
5. Dry hair completely straight by separating all of the strands into 2 inch sections.6. Blow dry straight with a concentrator attachment and a paddle or similar type 100% boar bristle brush. Work around the head from side to side until hair is 100% dry.
7. Direct air flow down the length of the hair from the roots to the ends for a sleeker style.8. When hair is completely dry run a flatiron through small 1/2" to 1" sections of hair to guarantee maximum smoothness.
9. Use a brush or fingers to direct hair completely back into a very tight pony positioned at the back of the head. Position the base of the pony at the top of the crown, halfway between the top of the head and the nape of the neck or at the neck.10. Secure the ponytail base with a hair friendly elastic.
11. Twist pony tail until it is so tight it literally folds back onto the base. Wrap tightly and bobby pin into place.12. Spritz hairspray onto a brush and apply to all of the hair around the hairline to guarantee a super slick look.
13. Apply additional hairspray to the palms of your hands and lightly swipe over the top of your finished sleek bun.
Glam up the look by wearing a sheer skullcap or netting.
Beyonce's Slick Hair Obsession
Beyonce's recent 2014 Met Ball sleek bun was reminiscent of a high shine hairstyle she wore at the 2011 NYC Alexander McQueen Savage Beauty Costume Institute Gala at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
Although Bey's sleek bun may be one of the easiest hairstyles to re-create, it's still gorgeous when coiffed properly.
Beyonce oozes style, attitude and class, it's no surprise she would indulge her slick hair obsessions every change she gets.
After all, when her hair is pulled back, the spotlight shifts to her stunning face.