Demi Lovato brought her charming yet bratty personality to the second season of X Factor. The Dallas-bred 20 year old was a fabulous addition to the judging panel which consisted of L.A. Reid, Britney Spears and bad boy Simon Cowell.
In fact, Demi, who sat between Britney and Simon was a perfect foil for Simon.
Beside her outspoken commentary regarding the X Factor acts, Demi Lovato's top knots were spectacular to see.
Demi's hair was something to behold. The bona fide TV star (Barney & Friends, Sonny With A Chance) began the X Factor journey with long buttery blonde wavy tresses.
By the finale of the reality talent extravaganza Demi's hair had completely transformed into a vision of long cascading chocolate brunette waves.
Throughout the X Factor Demi showcased a wide range of hair lengths, colors, textures and styles. Even Demi Lovato's top knots constantly changed in height, fullness and hue.
At the very beginning of the show during the initial try-outs Demi arrived with her blonde hair wrapped up in a thick loose topknot with a pink perimeter.
Demi's devoted, youthful fan-base was delighted with her pink and blonde top knot. They also loved her next knot which was primary light golden blonde with just a tiny hint of pink.
Demi's Top Knot Hairstyles
Just as Demi brought a unique perspective to the X Factor judge's panel, she did the same thing with her ever changing array of top knot hairstyles.
2012 saw the explosion in the popularity of the oversized ballerina updo bun on the catwalks, Red Carpets and reality TV shows. Although top knots were spotted on top models for Lanvin and Marchesa, Demi Lovato would be in the running for best top knots of the year.
How To Re-create Demi Lovato's Top Knots
The beau of Demi Lovato's top knots is that there is no right or wrong way to re-create them. Demi's top knots are super avant-garde and add an incredible unique edge to any fashion style from casual to formal.
1. For best results create your top knot on second or third day hair which will have natural oils to make the top knots more pliable and manageable.
Note: If you wish to create top knots on newly cleansed hair, be sure to apply great styling products which will help give the hair grip and hold. When hair is too soft, use a clean spray bottle filled with water and spritz hair lightly to add some moisture to help make hair easier to style.
2. Detangle hair with a 100% boar bristle brush, a hair-friendly wide-tooth comb and/or your fingers.
Once hair has been completely detangled prep the hair by spraying a shine boosting product into the palms of your hands. Lightly finger pick the shine boosting product into your strands.
3. Use the 100% boar bristle brush and your fingers to direct all of your hair up into a high ponytail with the base positioned right at the crown.
Optionally you can position the base of the ponytail on the top of the head halfway between the crown and the hairline. Secure the ponytail with a hair friendly elastic such as a Blax or bungee band.
4. To create lots of height use a brush and lightly back brush the ponytail. When the desired height is achieved use fingers to gently smooth down.
5. Lift the tail of the ponytail up and over the base of the pony in a clockwise or counterclockwise direction. Continue to wrap until all of the hair has been used up.
6. Secure the finished top know with Goody, Conair or similar bobby pins either in the same color as the hair or in contrasting colors for a unique look.
7. Finish with a spritz of your favorite hairspray.
8. Optionally you can decorate a top knot with a wide range of hair accessories ranging in every size, shape and color.
Optionally you can create a half up/half down hairstyle with the knot at the crown with part of the hair worn down. This hairstyle can work for every type and texture of hair. If your hair isn't long enough to wrap into a bun you can extend your hair with fusion style or clip-in style hair extensions.
Summary - Demi Lovato's Top Knots
Remember that top knots don't have to actually be knots. They can be enhanced with tiny braids interwoven throughout the ponytail and then wrapped into a loose bun.You can also use your fingers to gently shape the knot so that's it's looser or even has a few accent strands pulled from the knot. Top knots can be sleek, tight and clean or messy and tousled. The beauty of Demi Lovato's top knots is that they are unique, fun and always great to look at.
Please follow us on Twitter at: https://Twitter.com/HairBoutique. I look forward to meeting new people from all walks of Twitter and learning from their Tweets.