This Baby Doll Updo hairstyle is easy to create and works on shoulder length hair which is naturally straight, wavy or has a slight curl.
Of course the Baby Doll Updo How To steps also work on any type, texture or length of hair which has either been extended (clip-in, fusion or similar) and/or temporarily straightened.
The Baby Doll Updo How To steps will come in very handy for creating a glam updo hairstyle for any Holiday event. This updo is swept up, off the face and pinned in soft sensual curls and waves.
Note: If you wish to add slenderness to the face experiment with pinning waves and curls tighter against the sides of the head as well as adding extra height at the hairline.
This upswept updo creates an ultra-glam retro feel which can work with just about any fashions from dressy, semi-formal or formal. The Baby Doll Updo also works for brides or celebrities.
A similar hairstyle has been worn by Heidi Klum and was recently worn by X Factor finalist CeCe Frey.
The newly platinum blonde X Factor finalist showcased the Baby Doll Updo on the Thanksgiving show when she sang a song dedicated to her deceased sister. CeCe's updo have both deconstructed loose waves extending from a beautiful side-swept fringe and tighter curls throughout the back.
Step by Step Instructions - Baby Doll Updo How To
Follow the steps below to create a lightly waved, upswept updo:
1. Cleanse detangled strands in lukewarm water with shampoo appropriate for your hair type, texture and current condition.2. Rinse shampoo completely from strands.
3. Apply rinse-out conditioner (unless hair is fine or thin) from the top of the ears to the ends. Use a wide tooth comb or fingers and detangle hair working in small sections from the ends to the roots.4. Once hair is completely detangled rinse well. Finish with a cool or cold water rinse.
5. Towel blot hair to remove excess moisture.
Apply Styling Cocktail
6. Apply desired styling cocktail to strands which might include, but not be limited to a leave-in conditioner, defrisant and/or volumizing root spray.
Make sure all products are distributed completely through the strands.
7. Finish by adding volumizing mousse to hair. Finger pick mousse through hair from the roots to the ends.
Create Desired Part
To create definition, add a part as a base for the curls and waves.
8. Use a long tail comb and create a side part on either side of the head. The part can be messy, slightly zig zagged or precision straight, depending upon your goals.
Wrap Curls & Waves
9. Starting at one side of the head separate hair into 1" strands.10. Wrap the 1" sections of hair around fingers to form a pin curl. Clip the finished curl close to the scalp.
For large looser waves and/or curls use larger sections of hair when wrapping pin curls. If you prefer tighter curls and/or waves use smaller sections of hair.
11. Wrap, curl and pin the entire head of hair working in a uniform direction around the head.
For a more finished look experiment with alternating the direction you wrap the pin curls from front go back on alternating strands.
Dry Hair To Set Curls
12. Dry by sitting under a hood or bonnet dryer. If preferred use a diffuser attached to a blow dryer or allow hair to air dry.
Twist, Mold & Pin
13. Once hair is completely dry unpin the clipped curls one at a time.
Twist each curl with fingers so finished curls lay naturally against the head. Pin the finished curls into place.
If you prefer more waves then curls, use a boar bristle brush to deconstruct the curls and use fingers to form into soft waves directed towards the back of the head. A 1 1/2" curling iron can be used to touch up curls throughout the edges of the hairstyle.
If hair is long, pin excess hair at the back of the head in a loose twist or bun.
14. Spritz fingers with hairspray or apply 1-2 drops of serum into the palms of the hands and rake through the top section of the hair to create the side-swept fringe area and finish the style.
15. For extra hold spritz lightly with a shine enhancing hairspray.
If you study CeCe's Baby Doll hairstyle you will notice each side has free form waves along the front which end in tighter pinned curls at the edges.
There is no right or wrong way to create this beautiful hairstyle. Experiment with a range of pin curl sizes as well as placement on the head to create different looks.*According to FTC Rules we wish to note that HairBoutique.com is a member of the Amazon Affiliate Program. Any books or materials purchased as a result of this blog may result in a commission being paid to HairBoutique.com.