Hair How To - Instant Ballet Bun
Many love to wear their hair wrapped up into a bun.
For many, a bun especially the neat ballerina style bun looks and feels more polished. Depending on how carefully the bun is styled, it can be an incredibly elegant hairstyle.
One of the key requirements of a ballerina style bun is that the hair, whether extended or not, must be long enough to be pulled up into a bun. You will need enough hair to wrap it up at least once.
Although there are many advantages to wearing a bun, one great plus is that a bun can completely camouflages your hair's actual length.
Nothing is better than pulling out a bun and letting long hair cascade down around your shoulders with a few shakes.
Even better, ballerina buns actually work best on second day hair when natural oils have been allowed to flow from the scalp.
When you practice, a ballerina bun can be created in just a few minutes. Follow the step by step instructions listed below.
Step By Step Instructions
1. Start with dry hair which has been completely detangled to remove all knots, snarls and tangles.
2. Apply a dollop of your favorite volumizing mousse to the palms of your hands. Rake it through your hair from the roots to the end.
3. Use your fingers and a 100% boar bristle brush like a Mason Pearson, Kent, Conair or similar and brush hair completely up and back from the hairline.
4. Direct hair up into a loose ponytail with the base of the pony centered on top of your head halfway between the crown and the hairline. Make sure the bun is not too close to the forehead.
5. Once you have created the bun you desire secure with a Blax, Bungee or hair friendly elastic in the same color as your hair. Optionally you can leave the base unsecured and use your fingers to hold the base until the bun is finished.
6. Spray hair with a firm hold hairspray.
7. Lift the end of the tail and wrap clockwise around the base of pony shaping and tucking in the ends. Use bobby pins in the same color as your hair to anchor the bun. Shape the bun with your fingers and hands. Ideally the bun should be shaped like a donut with a hole in the center.
8. Once you have finished styling the bun mist with a light shine spray. If you prefer you can apply 1-2 drops of shine serum to the palms of your hands and lightly brush over the top of the bun.
Optionally you may wish to dress up your bun with crystal encrusted hair pins, contrasting hued bobby pins, bun covers, jeweled barrettes, hair clips or even an array of soft or hard bun clips.
Whether you decide to wrap your hair into an instant ballet bun for a fun night out on the town, a special glam party event or just for fun, it can be created in a matter of minutes.
Ballet buns can be worn slightly tousled or messy or fine tuned into a perfectly shaped and finished hair donut.
Hair Buns can be worn for any imaginable hair occasion as long as hair is long enough to pull up into a ponytail on top of the head and wrapped around the base.
- Revised Date: 12/28/11