Showing off hair texture in the form of waves, curls, coils, kinks or bends is a hot hair trend.
Although long hair infused with an array of wild waves is more popular then ever, classic bob, chops and even crops are also popping up everywhere with fat bottoms.
Note: Check out the January Jones Hairstyle Gallery at: HairBoutique.com.
Fat bottomed bob hairstyle means that traditional sleek cuts are exploding with big, bold texture throughout the bottom of the hairdo.
Mad Men's January Jones is considered to be a fashion trendsetter. She is often voted best dressed and tressed on Hollywood's most prestigious Red Carpets.
Recently the blonde beauty was spotted with her favorite sleek A-line bob hairstyle infused with big, bouncy waves, loose curls and open coils.
How To Style Fat Bottom Bobs
The key to styling a fat bottom bob is to create balanced volume throughout the roots and extend that body and fullness down to the roots.
The bottom of the bob should ideally be infused with soft waves and curls.
1. Start by amping up the volume from the roots to the ends. Begin by cleansing detangled tresses in lukewarm water with a volume enhancing shampoo or similar formula.
If your hair is highlighted or colored you may wish to opt for a gentle color maintenance formula or an alternative cleansing method such as Diluted Shampoo (DS), Conditioner Only Wash (CO Wash), Water Only (WO) or Low Poo.
2. Blow-dry damp strands without a nozzle. As you dry hair tousle it with your fingers which roughs up the cuticle adding volume and body.
Lift individual roots and direct air from the blow dryer up the shaft from the ends towards the roots.
3. After hair is 100% dry use a comb with a long tail end and create the desired part. Ideally the part should be a side part to help maintain a balanced look. The goal is to avoid completely flat roots.
4. Once the part is created separate all of the hair into 2" horizontal sections.
Use a 1" or 1 1/2" curling iron and curl individual sections around the head.
After each section is curled release from the iron and then roll the curl around the fingers to reform. Pin against the scalp. Allow the hair to cool and set in the curls.
5. Unpin each section. Arrange and tousle with fingers. For extra volume throughout the roots use a boar bristle brush and backcomb throughout the roots.
Smooth and then arrange waves and curls throughout the bottom for the finished look.
6. Finish by spritzing with a light spray to keep hair light, flirty and bob-a-licious.
Watch for the fat bottom bob to become all the rage as hair gets shorter.
Not only does it give more life to the traditional bob, but it can be customized with an array of textures to create an array of hairstyles.
Whether you wear it totally tousled or sleek, you can play with your hair and have fun.
Afterall, that's what makes getting a new hair cut fun, you can play with it.
- Revised Date: 01/05/12