Patricia Wettig (born December 4, 1951) is an American actress and playwright. She is best known for her roles in the television series Thirtysomething, Prison Break and Brothers & Sisters. In film, she is known for her role in City Slickers.
Wettig, one of four sisters (Pam, Patricia, Phylis and Peggy), was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, the daughter of Florence (née Morlock) and Clifford Neal Wettig, a college basketball coach.
Note: Visit Patricia Wettig's Celebrity Hair Gallery at HairBoutique.com
She attended Ohio Wesleyan University and graduated from Temple University in 1975. She returned to her studies later in life and received an M.F.A. in playwriting from Smith College in 2001.
Wettig is married to actor and producer Ken Olin; they have two children, Clifford (b. 1983) and Roxanne (b. 1985). Her daughter, Roxanne (better known as "Roxy"), is a principal cast member of the MTV series The City.
Although Wettig has acted in a number of films (including City Slickers, Guilty by Suspicion, and The Langoliers), she is best known for her work on television.
She received critical acclaim (and a number of awards) for her role as Nancy Weston on ABC's thirtysomething. Her portrayal of Nancy's cancer struggle attracted considerable acclaim and attention.
She also portrayed Joanne McFadden on the television program St. Elsewhere. In addition, Wettig appeared in a number of popular television programs during the 1980s and 1990s including L.A. Law, Frasier, Hill Street Blues, and Remington Steele.
Wettig is a featured cast member in the ABC series Brothers & Sisters, which debuted in September 2006, where she portrays the Walker family patriarch's mistress, Holly Harper.
Her character is now the former co-CEO at Ojai Foods. She originally shared the title with Sarah Walker, the daughter of William Walker, her long time secret lover.
Ojai Foods went bankrupt and due to a horrendous car accident the character of Holly lost a lot of her memories, including those of her daughter.
Wettig also had the recurring role of CIA psychotherapist Dr. Judy Barnett on Alias, which was produced and directed by her husband, former Thirtysomething co-star Ken Olin.
Before joining Brothers & Sisters, she played the fictional Vice President Caroline Reynolds on the 2005 Fox television drama, Prison Break.
She turned down Fox's offer of becoming a series regular on Prison Break in order to pursue Brothers & Sisters.
In 2007 ABC and FOX agreed that Wettig could briefly reprise her role as Caroline Reynolds, providing off-camera voice-overs and appearing in a scene with Wentworth Miller.
Steal Her Hairstyle
Although Patricia had access to a team of top hairdressers for her array of perfectly finished styles, with a little time and practice it would be possible to steal her styles.
Follow the steps listed below to recreate Reese's basic shoulder skimming style:
1. Start by selecting a shampoo with a color safe formula to preserve any gorgeous blonde highlights or hues like Patricia's current golden shade. Otherwise, select a shampoo which works with your current texture, type and condition of hair.
Shampoo product to try: Rene Furterer Okara Repairing Shampoo. The Rene Furterer Okara line has been specifically created for chemically treated hair (perms, colors, straightening). The Okara Extract (soy protein) restructures and tonifies the most damaged hair for a long lasting color or vigorous curls.
2. Apply a rinse out conditioner which works for your hair's normal texture, type and condition. Consider trying a color co-ordinated mask to intensify your existing color.
Conditioning product to try: Okara Restructuring and Protective Radiance Mask
3. While the conditioner is still in your hair use your fingers or a wide tooth comb to detangle.
4. Finish with a cool/cold rinse to close the cuticle and help add natural shine.
5. Towel blot (never rub or rough dry) to remove excess water.6. Coat damp strands with a customized styling product cocktail containing styling tools such as a defrisant, volume building mousse, gel or other styling products that work best with your hair texture and type.
Anti Frizz products to try:
Styling products to try: Rene Furterer Anti-Dehydrating Mousse, Robert Hallowell Prawduct - super volumizing tonic - 8.5 oz (250 ml) or Paves Professional FLAWless Red Carpet Firm Hold Repairing Styling Mousse For Dry Damaged Hair.
7. Blow dry using a large round boar's bristle brush such as a Conair Round Brush for strong, lasting support. Direct the air flow down from the roots towards the end to build in shine and smooth strands.
8. Use fingers to lightly scrunch near the roots for desired volume and lift and use round brush to lightly roll the ends of the hair under.
9. Finish blow drying with blast of cold air, if possible, which sets the style.
10. When hair is 100% dry separate hair into individual 2" sections and set on medium sized hot rollers, or curl with a medium sized curling iron to add movement to the strands.
11. If curling with a curling iron, after working with each section, roll the newly formed curl with your fingers up towards your scalp and pin into place to allow the curl to cool completely. Work around the entire head until all sections have been curled and pinned to the scalp. Spritz lightly with a soft hold hairspray.
If curling with hot rollers, let the curlers completely cool before removing. Once all the rollers have been released, let new curls dangle free before styling. Spritz lightly with a soft hold hairspray.
12. Use a tail comb or brush to create the desired part.
13. Use your fingers and/or a boar's head brush to lightly break up the curls and arrange into a soft finished halo of bouncy waves that terminate into a slight curl at the tips.
14. If desired use a small barrel curling iron to touch up the curls on the ends. Let the curls cool and then tousle lightly with fingers.
15. Apply a small drop of shine serum and lightly brush over the top of the finished style. If you prefer, use a shine spray product and spray into the palms of your hands and then glide over finished style.
Shine Serum Products To Try:
Rene Furterer Spray Gloss which creates a soft mirror like shimmer when sprayed over hair. It also helps enhance hair's texture.
16. If desired, finish the look with a long lasting hairspray for a silky shine effect.
Hairspray to try:
Rene Furterer Mini Lacque Hairspray - Great hairspray that tucks neatly into any handbag or perfect for travel.
Other Styling Options
Patricia's basic style offers many options. If you prefer a sleek straight style, use a flat brush to blow dry straight. Finish with a flat iron.
If you prefer tousled textures, experiment with scrunching or use different sized hot rollers and break up the finished curls with your fingers or a brush. This style offers many options including working well when pulled up into a half up/half down tumble of texture or wrapped into messy twist.
Patricia Wettig has had a long and renowned career. Even as she approaches her 60th birthday she is in high demand
for her acting. Her role as Holly on ABC's Brothers & Sisters is going strong.
Recently Patricia attended the New York Stage and Film Gala to support the arts in New York. Besides her amazing work as an actress Patricia is highly respected writer and has authored plays.
Social Media Network Information
Please follow me on Twitter at: http://Twitter.com/HairBoutique. I look forward to meeting new people from all walks of Twitter and learning from their Tweets. Visit us at Hairboutique.com located at: http://www.HairBoutique.com, on Facebook, MySpace and YouTube.
Thank you for visiting us at The HairBoutique Blog and for leaving your comments. They are very much appreciated. We apologize in advance but must remove any direct advertisements or solicitations.
- Revised Publication Date: 01/07/11