When I met the world famous celebrity hairdresser Ken Paves in Dallas in 2002 I had the once in a lifetime opportunity to hang out with him "behind the scenes" of a major photo shoot with Seventeen Magazine and Jessica Simpson.
Trust me, all photo shoots involve a lot of hurry up and waiting.
I will never forget as we were perched in our little director chairs I asked Ken what other celebrity clients he was currently coiffing.
Without skipping a beat, in his 200 MPH KenSpeak he rattled off a list of some of the most famous women in Hollywood.
Wait I choked "did you say Jennifer Lopez?" Ken smiled and proceeded to inform me of his long history spinning hair magic with the gorgeous superstar.
Ken shared with me how he first met "Jennifer" as he calls her while working in New York in the late 90s. In fact, Ken packed up his famous red blow dryer and other magical hair tools and trekked off to a few movie sets with Jennifer.
Either Ken was on set with Jennifer for 2001's Wedding Planner (one of my own personal favorite movies) or he was providing consulting on Jersey Girl (2004) and Monster-in-Law (2005).
Ken has continued to work with Jennifer whenever their schedules can work together for several years. He adores working with Jennifer and her luscious hair, which he told me back in 2002 has a lot of delicate natural texture.
Recently Ken and Jennifer were both in New York at the same time and Ken was thrilled to create a lush wavy look for her current long mocha brown tresses with hints of lighter milk chocolate highlights for the 2002 ACE Awards.
Ken emailed me with the details of Jennifer's latest award winning hairstyle lovingly crafted by Ken's magical hairstyling fingers.
Listed below are the steps that Ken took to weave the ravishing hairstyle for one of his long time girls.
Steal Jennifer Lopez's Hairstyle - Step By Step Instructions
The key to copying Jennifer's sultry waved style is to start with a similar hair cut. Print out a photo of Jennifer and take it to your hairdresser to duplicate.
Jennifers current style is based on a long graduated layers that extend a little longer at the back of her head to provide overall balance. The style can be optionally worn with or without a fringe.
For the ACE Awards Jennifer rocked a center part created by Ken to seamlessly flow into smooth cascading panels of shimmering waves on either side of her gorgeous face.
Either side of her luscious style cascaded into soft S wave shaped texture that snuggled into her neck and spilled down over the shoulders.
Follow the steps to steal Jennifer's shimmering style:
1. Shampoo and condition hair with products created for your hair texture, type and current condition. If your strands are naturally fine or thin and you desire lots of volume, be sure to use volume enhancing products to help amp up your strands.
Note: It has been reported that Ken uses his Paves Professional line on Jennifer's tresses with great results.
2. Finish with a cool/cold water rinse to close the cuticle and help add natural shine.
3. Towel blot - do not rub - hair with an absorbent towel.
4. Depending on your hair texture, type and condition apply a moisturizing heat protecting conditioner or a cocktail which includes a leave-in conditioner and/or defrisant product along with a styling mousse.
It's your option to work with all three types of products or select only those that your hair might require to create fullness and movement.
Note: Ken Paves always uses his Paves Professional Red Carpet Styling Mousse on Jennifer's hair when creating waves and soft texture.
5. Gently detangle hair from ends up to roots using a "hair friendly" comb or your fingers.
6. Separate hair into individual 2" strands.
7. Start at the back of your head using a round Boar's head or similar style brush to build in volume for each of the individual strands while directing the air flow of a blow dryer down the shaft from roots to ends.
Continue to blow dry until each section is 100% dry.
8. Once hair is 100% dry, separate into 2-3" strands and roll entire head of hair with hot rollers.
9. Allow the newly created curls to completely cool before removing hot rollers once at a time. Spray the newly created curls with a hair spray.
10. Use a boar's head brush and lightly brush the curls into a finished style. With a long tail comb create a center part directly off the hairline. Use fingers to arrange waves and curls as desired.
11. For added curl and wave definition, use a small barrel curling iron to create random curls and then use fingers to merge into the rest of the waves. Lightly fingerpick the waves along the sides of your head.
12. Apply one or two drops of shine serum into the palms of your hands and distribute well. Lightly brush your hands over the top of your newly finished style.
For an optional look you can create some soft volume along the crown extending from the hairline to the back of the head. This volume can be created by simply back combing the desired section or by using a volume enhancing spray or similar product when blow drying the style.
Another option is to instantly change your hair length, color and style with one of Ken Paves' HairDo options from HairUWear. Ken and Jessica Simpson developed a spectacular line of clip-in hair that can transform your hair in a matter of minutes with no permanent changes.
As always Ken created a spectacular hairstyle for Jennifer Lopez that was soft, sexy full of lush waves and eye blinding shimmer..
|Send this page to a friend..|