I recently had a newly divorced dad email me with a plea for easy steps on how to create a ponytail.
At first I was surprised by the request. Mainly because I have been wearing ponytails since I can remember. I guess I take them for granted.
Steps For Creating Perfect Hair Ponies
To honor this devoted dad's request to create perfect hair ponies for his two little daughters, here are some simple and easy steps:
1. Whether you make a ponytail on newly washed hair or not, strands must be 100% dry and completely detangled before putting into a ponytail to prevent breakage.
Never make a ponytail from hair that is wet, tangled or full of knots.
2. Using a natural boar bristle brush or similar, brush hair from roots to ends until the hair is smooth and sleek.
3. Distribute a dime-size amount of styling cream, glaze or similar through out the hair to help hold strands in place. Apply extra product to the top of the head and throughout the crown to guarantee a firm holding tail.
4. Use fingers and brush to direct hair from the front of the hairline and along the sides of the head up and back toward the crown area. All of the hair should be merged together in a "tail" formation. Initially hold the new tail with our fingers and then use the brush to smooth the crown area of the head.
5. Carefully slide on a "hair-friendly" Blax or Bungee cord around the base of the ponytail.
A secret hairdresser's trick to a super tight pony without crown wrinkles or bulges is to strategically place bobby pins, the same color as the hair, right above the newly created pony base. By carefully adding bobby pins above and below the pony elastic, all hair will be held securely in place.
6. To finish ponytail, spritz top of the head along the crown with a hairspray that is compatible with hair type and texture. Use your own judgment whether to use a light, medium or strong hold formula.
Use the tip of a long tail comb to carefully smooth out any wrinkles that develop around the hairline or along the crown.
7. For extra pizazz lift one strand from the side of the ponytail and wrap it around the base to cover the elastic with hair. Or attach a high fashion pony elastic encrusted with silk flowers, crystals, bows, satin or other appropriate adornments.
8. Add extra bobby pins along the sides if necessary to keep all tresses secure and tucked neatly into the ponytail.
The key to the creation of an easy ponytail is practice, practice and more practice. If you make enough ponytails, you will become so great at them, the you will take them for granted. Ponytails are always in hair fashion for all ages.
Social Media Network Information
Please follow me on Twitter at: http://Twitter.com/HairBoutique. I look forward to meeting new people from all walks of Twitter and learning from their Tweets. Visit us at Hairboutique.com located at: http://www.HairBoutique.com, on Facebook, MySpace and YouTube.
Thank you for visiting us at The HairBoutique Blog and for leaving your comments. They are very much appreciated. We apologize in advance but must remove any direct advertisements or solicitations.
- Revised Publication Date: 05/22/10
Please follow us on Twitter at: https://Twitter.com/HairBoutique. I look forward to meeting new people from all walks of Twitter and learning from their Tweets.