|Original Publication Date: 12/28/09
Ever since the end of her most recent ABC TV situation comedy, 'Samantha Who' Christina Applegate has been busy voicing Chippette Brittany in the newly released 'Alvin And The Chipmunks: The Squeakquel' along with co-starring in a movie with Drew Barrymore and Justin Long in 'Going The Distance.'
The beautiful blonde American Emmy Award-winning star has also become an active spokesperson in the fight against breast cancer which she personally has been dealing with along with her own mom.
Christina who appeared on roller skates in a past Jessica Simpson video recently co-starred alongside American Idol's Carrie Underwood on Carrie's recent holiday special.
Christina won the hearts of fans years ago when she played Kelly Bundy on the sitcom Married... with Children. From there her career has taken her to the big screen, Broadway where she was nominated for a Tony and back to the small screen for 'Samantha Who' which she loved.
When Samantha was unexpectedly cancelled in 2008 she was rewarded with an Emmy nomination for her work on the show.
She told the media at the time “This nomination means more to me than ever before. I’m incredibly happy and honored. Certainly it’s bittersweet- we no longer get to do the show that we love so much, but that doesn’t take away from the excitement and honor of this nomination. This is a wonderful recognition of what we created together every week.”
Christina Applegate Hairstyle 411
Hairstyle: Sleek Side-Swept Updo Hairstyle Inspired By Traditional French Twist
Christina has worn versions of this sleek side-swept updo/twist hairstyle on more then one occasion and it is perfect for her hair color, type, texture and face shape.
Not only did she rock the hairstyle at Variety's 1st Annual Power of Women Luncheon in September of 2009, she wore a similar version on a December 18th visit to Jay Leno to promote her recent Chipmunk work.
Christina's traditional French twist, which is a masterpiece of sleep profiles, is softened significantly by the soft side-swept curtain of hair which drapes from a deep side part across one eyebrow extending back towards the lob of one ear.
Christina's longtime celebrity hairdresser is Ken Paves who is the king of clip-in hair extensions, fringes, ponytails and falls.
If I had to guess I might say there may have been some strands added to increase Christina's gorgeous volume throughout the crown area, but only her celebrity hairdresser knows for sure.
Hairstyle Color: Burnt toast/dark blonde base
Hairstyle Highlights/Lowlights: Christina has spectacular highlights and lowlights which are perfect because they look so amazingly natural.
Her darker blonde base is interwoven with 2-3 lighter golden highlights and a few darker carmel or hazelnut lowlights are pulled through to give the base incredible depth, movement and shine.
Texture: Christina appears to have medium to medium thick hair in excellent shape with natural waves.
For the Red Carpet events her hair is often coiffed into a ravishing array of coiled chignons, sleek twists and gorgeous edgy updos.
For less formal events she often wears her hair cascading into soft waves around her stunning face.
Fringe: Christina's sleek French Twist hairstyle was coupled with a long side swept fringe cascading from deep side part and extending down towards the opposite earlobe.
Face Shape: Christina's face shape is mostly oval with a hint of squareness around her lower jaw and chin. She has well defined cheekbones.
Hairstyle Works Best: Christina's hairstyle works best for hair which is shoulder length or longer which is all one length or with slight layers.
The best texture for recreating this updo twist is hair which can be easily straightened into sleek curtains and swept up into a twist nestled into the back of your head.
The updo can be copied with or without a fringe although the side-swept fringe helps to soften the twist hairstyle.
Hair Tools Required: Large barrel straightening iron to straighten strands, 100% boar bristle brush, long tail comb, bobby pins in the same hue as your hair, styling spray and/or cream, sculpting hairspray, shine enhancing hairspray, shine spray and/or serum drops.
To add strategically placed volume, fullness and length you may wish to play with clip-in hair extensions.
How To Recreate Christina's Sleek Side-Swept
2. If you wish to copy Christina's look completely, create a side part extending directly back from the hairline using a long tail comb. If you prefer, you can copyChristina's hairstyle without a side-swept fringe or side part, although it will not look exactly the same.
3. Use a 100% boar bristle brush or similar and brush hair, except for the side-swept bang section, smoothly back from the hairline towards the crown of the head. Clip the side-swept fringe hair out of the way.
4. Gather hair at the back of the head into a ponytail with a base halfway between your crown and nape of your neck and just slightly to the left of center. Do not anchor the base. Instead, hold it in place with your hands.
5. Using your free hand, twist the ponytail you are holding in place all the way around the base in a clockwise direction. This positions the base of the hair closer to your scalp and provides a firm achor to work against.
6. Hold the base of the pony in your left hand. With your right, hold the end of the pony straight up and pointing towards the ceiling.
7. With your right hand, fold the end of the ponytail, about the top third, down towards the nape of your neck.
8. Fold the entire ponytail down under itself, towards your nape so that it is less that half as long as it was originally.
9. Curl the folded ponytail in your left hand. There should be a slight hollow between the ponytail and your scalp.
10. With your right hand begin to gently push the upper right hand portion of the folded ponytail down into the hollw. Continue pushing the hair underneath your left hand into the hollow so the folded pony is slowly rolling inside the hollow.
11. Once the French Twist is complete and you can't push any additional hair into the hollow area the folded ponytail should have been transformed into a tight roll.
12. Create a traditional twist seam like Christina's by tucking bobby pins in the same color as your hair where the right hand edge of the roll meets your scalp starting at the bottom. Place bobby pins all along the seam up to the top of the roll, concealing the pins just under the roll.
13. Push the upper portion of the ponytail over into the space with your other hand so that the folded part is slowly rolling over into it.
14. When you have completely pushed all the hair into the twist and have created the profile (height and fullness) desired, secure with bobby pins along the seam. Conceal the bobby pins by pushing them right underneath the roll.
15. Spray well with firm hold styling spray
16. Unclip the side-swept fringe area and arrange with your fingers. If you desire, anchor in front of one ear with a well placed bobby pin.
17, Add a few drops of shine serum, spray or shine enhancing hairspray to the palms of your hands and then wipe lightly over the top of your goregous tresses.
This hairstyle is gorgeous and can be worn for any Holiday or Party Hair event ranging from a formal or semi-formal dinner or a special formal dance or Prom.
This is a classic hairstyle which never goes out of style. To amp up the look even more add a bejewelled hairpin clip on one side of the hairline or slide or a jeweled headband.
As 2009 comes to an end Christina Applegate has been on the talk show circuit to help promote her role in 'Alvin And The Chipmunks: The Squeakquel'.
She told Parade.com she has high hopes for 2010. The beautiful blonde actress said "The things I pray for are a lot different than they used to be. I pray that I'll find joy and happiness in whatever comes my way rather than being totally focused on getting the thing that will advance my career. It's not that I'm less ambitious, it's just that I used to feel that if my life wasn't a certain way I wasn't going to be happy.
She continued "Then I shifted gears in my consciousness. I really accept the fact that my life is blessed and that it doesn't matter if I'm successful in this business or something else."
Social Media Network Information
Please follow me on Twitter at: http://Twitter.com/HairBoutique. I look forward to meeting new people from all walks of Twitter and learning from their Tweets. Visit us at Hairboutique.com located at: http://www.HairBoutique.com, on Facebook, MySpace and YouTube.
Thank you for visiting us at The HairBoutique Blog and for leaving your comments. They are very much appreciated. We apologize in advance but must remove any direct advertisements or solicitations.
Original Publication Date: 12/28/09 - Revised Publication Date: 12/30/09
For additional hair care articles, tips and product information check out the following links:
Phyto Selection Guide - Check out our Phyto selection guide to figure out which of these award winning products would work best for your hair type, texture and condition.