Introduction – Manicure Facts
Listed below are a collection of various manicure facts which may be utilized either at the salon or at home.
1. When possible take your own nail polish to the salon. Many nail professionals use thinners to extend the life of the polish. Unfortunately the thinners may cause the color to change from its original hue. Or it may cause the polish to bubble or peel prematurely.
Another reason to take your own polish including the top and base coats to the salon? To minimize the possibility of contamination from other clients. Although rare, it may happen from time to time.
2. Always store your own polish in a cool, dark place which will extend the life for a year or longer. Some experts suggest storing nail polish in the refigerater, but others suggest this is not necessary.
3. Some experts believe that storing the polish upside down may also extend the life of polish. In a sense when polish is stored upside down or sideways it keeps the lacquer from hardening.
4. Banish nail moisture of any kind before applying polish. If there is any moisture or related residue on the nails, polish will not stick as effectively.
5. Although some nails techs recommend filing across the nail beds to rough them up so polish cling better, over time. This may cause residual damage to nails. Avoid this option. (more…)