AMC Preacher Hair
AMC Preacher Hair is the iconic look of Dominic Cooper who plays the Preacher.
Cooper’s hair is just one of the many perks of the quirky series set in the town of Annville, Texas.
Most hair experts would agree the Preacher’s hair is a type of wave infused high volume undercut with a slight taper.
Others might refer to Jesse Custer’s hair as a type of updated classic Pompadour also known as the James Dean.
Although the style has been continuously updated throughout the years, it’s been around since the early 1900s.
Updated Classic Pompadour
Dominic Cooper, as the Preacher, wears his hair blended and tapered with a precision silhouette featuring longer lengths on top.
His length gradually shortens in length from the top of his head down to the nape of his neck.
The Preacher’s hair on top is approximately 1 1/2 to 2 inches long which works well with his natural wavy texture.
An Edgier Option For AMC Preacher Hair
If you decide to adopt the look and want to go for an edgier look with more sizzle opt for a more asymmetrical cut.
When visiting your stylist or barber take a photo, discuss your options and ask for hair longer on one side of the scalp than the other.
The length of your hair, the difference in length between one side and the other, and the length of your sides and back are all up to you. It just depends how bold or subtle you’d like the finished hairstyle to be.
How To Style The Preacher’s Hair
Most stylists and/or barbers should be extremely familiar with this look. If they don’t know this cut find a new stylist who does since the cut is key.
Note: If hair is cut properly, you won’t need to use a lot of styling products and can extend the style two or even three days.
How To Style Jesse Custer’s Pompadour
To re-create Jesse Custer’s pompadour there’s needs to be more length left on top.
This hair cut works great on naturally wavy hair, but can also be accomplished on naturally thick hair or even, in some cases, with straight hair.
The style does work slightly better on hair with some bend or natural textures.
The Preacher also have a little more hair on the sides of his head, but the style can be created with less.
Obviously the goal is to leave more hair on top since this style makes use of combing the hair back and to the sides. I
f your hair is too short on the sides there is a rick of looking unbalanced or like a porcupine with it’s quills up.
Key Components To Recreating AMC Pr
There are four key components to successfully recreating Jess Custer’s Preacher Hair which include the following:
- Compatible hair type, texture, length and thickness. If you’ve got it, flaunt it.
- A precision haircut incorporating the proper lengths on top, sides and back.
- Proper grooming and/or styling tools including high quality gel and/or creams, blow dryer, brush and possible straight iron.
- Dedicated regular maintenance to sustain the proper haircut shape.
Note: If your barber/stylist suggests your hair isn’t compatible for this style, ask them what your options include to achieve an alternative style.
How To Style Jesse Custer’s Pompadour
Follow the steps below to style Jesse Custer’s hair after having a precision haircut:
1. Wet wash hair with shampoo designed for your hair type, texture and condition.
2. Rinse well to remove all of the shampoo.
3. Finish with cool/cold water rinse.
4. Towel blot to remove excess water.
5. Apply a medium hold pomade or grooming cream to towel blotted damp hair with your fingers.
6. Use your fingers and/or a paddle brush combined with the heat from a blow dryer to sculpt into desired shape.
7. Direct hair back and up off the face positioning blow dry so that the air flows from the roots up towards the ends.
8. Run fingers through the front section of the hair to create slight separation and texture.
This classic man’s haircut and style looks best when it’s allowed to age for a day. Wet wash and style on the first day, but avoid washing on the second. Instead, rework the style with a dry shampoo and a blow dryer.
Ultimately Dominic Cooper’s on-trend pompadour is a perfect inspiration for men of all ages and when the style starts with a precision cut, it can be worn according to individual tastes.